Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !

Upon opening the car, the normal logo comes up in the centre of the dash, but when the "key" is inserted, this display changes to "vehicle protection system not available", with none of the normal ignition warning lights coming on. Can anyone throw some light on this? Is there an easy way of re-setting the system, or do I need to apply for a second mortgage in readiness for the main dealer assistance?

Thanks in anticipation!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello - yes, I'm afraid the news is not good :rant: It turned out to be a defective steering lock ass'y and the clutch switch (which prevents you starting it in gear) was also found to be playing up. The electronic steering lock was £222.01 and the clutch switch a further £19.98. By the time I'd paid them to take the dashboard apart to do it all and a bit for the VAT man, the total was £722.27 :cry: If it's any use to you, the steering electronic control part required is part number 0050508336.

I STILL love the car, mind !

Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. My car has just spent the best part of 3 weeks at the Alfa Workshop in Royston and your repair bill was around what I was expecting for mine. However, Jamie has done 'something' (his own words !) to the car and it is a bit better. For some reason, i'm finding that if I insert the key slowly, with the Alfa logo on the key facing to the left, then press the brake pedal hard, the warning light tends to stay out! I get a brief 'alarm system not available' warning, which then goes out and doesn't reappear. Touchwood, this will last a couple of months, as i'm trading the car in for a new Giulietta. The total cost for this, plus a loan car for the duration? £Zero! What a great guy - refused to accept any money, as he wasn't sure that the problem was completely fixed. It isn't, but it IS better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts