Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been a fan of the Brera since it was launched and test drove the 2.4JTD for the first time this weekend and i love the way it pulls. however, i felt it was just too soft. i am going to test drive the S version so hope i wont be too disappointed or maybe i should just stick with my GT

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Id stick with the GT - I just don't see the point of the Brera and its styling is pretty awkward looking in profile.
I had a GT 1.9JTD before and it was a great little car. Had to sell it as I have too many classics to manage. :(

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would wait until the new engine arrives in the Brera then decide. If you want a run out model test drive a well run in 2.2 as opposed to a brand new one. As has been said on this forum so many times the 2.2 really improves with mileage.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Probably the S is for you. Or, get any standard Brera with your choice of engien and get some aftermarket suspension. That's all you need to get that S feeling really. Maybe some new back boxes if you want more noise!

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is quite a bit of Turbo Lag in the 2.4 which can be disappointing (and scary) at roundabouts and pulling out of junctions, but when you get the rev's right it does have the potential to fly!

I'm hoping to get a chip to help with the Lag!

If I had the choice of Brera v Brera S - I'd get the S just to be exclusive!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've not tried the 210bhp JTD probably the only config in the range I haven't tried but the 200bhp one was a laggy mess IMO, great when on boost but you could loose that boost during a normal gearchage, quite annoying, that said I did get used to it after a couple of weeks as I learned to drive around it but it wasn't the greatest, when I got back into my own car or in fact the lower powered 159 1.9 the immediacy of the response over the 2.4 was very surprising.

Having driven the S I really did like its improvements it made the Brera the car I was expecting, not the wobbly mess the standard car is in the corners, I even found the 2.2 quite enjoyable but it was obvious I wasn't really going anywhere fast, it just sounded good and felt nice to drive.

Guess it all comes down to money, you can get a 2.2S but don't think you'll be that impressed with its lack of torque, you may be able to get a 210 JTD ( most 08 models should be the 210 ) for a bit more and down the line you could add a decent suspension setup. I've been toying with both, just recently missed out on a 2.2S for 16k which would have got a supercharger and LSD if it ended in my hands :) but if an 08 JTD comes through and I can get it for a good price I'd take that too and do suspension and remap, toyed with the SV6 but it seemed to be far too firm up front to maintain its grip on the less than perfect roads I drive on.

There's a lot to be said about modding a GT, I did that and it was superb but it lacks the quality of the newer models and feels pretty old after you've been driving the newer cars for a while.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I think that the turbo lag issue can be individual to cars - My 2.4 is well run in at 41.5k miles and lag is only noticeable when pullling away with tick over revs, just increase to 1200rpm or so and all is fine, certainly no issue between gear changes. I was going to get a remap but not convinced it is necessary.

Tall Blk - If you have been admiring the Brera for 3 years then Yes it is time to take the plunge, you will notice a vast improvement over the GT. The 2.2 and the 2.4 both improve with age so try a few of each before deciding. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Personally the GT looks good but the interior lets it down, that's where you spend your time. Biased I may be S all the way!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've gone from a Brera (3.2, on a lease deal) to an 06 GTjtd, bought for cash.
The Brera is definitely more modern & better built. However, that comes at a price & the price is its weight. The Brera feels more secure around tight bends & country lanes & the interior is top quality. However, I also really like the interior of the GT, which has far more room. If you need anything more that just 2 front seats, think very carefully.
For me, they are both good cars in different ways. The GT suits my needs better than the Brera, but thats a personal decision.
Matt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wait for the new 1750 TB to come out and then get a remap :) I have a year to go before I change mine but I reckon that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I enjoyed the comfort & build of the Brera I test drove but it felt a bit wallowy, think the S probably sets the car up as it should be. Like others have said the new engines (weight & performance) might give the car the missing ingredients. GT is a lovely car but feels a bit dated inside and drives a little that was as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I enjoyed the comfort & build of the Brera I test drove but it felt a bit wallowy, think the S probably sets the car up as it should be. Like others have said the new engines (weight & performance) might give the car the missing ingredients. GT is a lovely car but feels a bit dated inside and drives a little that was as well.
A 1750TB S then if they do one should be ideal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i really do love it. plus the diesel engine does pull very well somehow though it feels it lacks, well.... dynamics. i can toss my GT into a corner and it'll just stick to the tarmac. this is why i want to see if the S is any different but somehow i just know i will miss all that torque if i opt for the S

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is a 2.4 JTDM available now with 260BHP ? I saw the spec in a dealer showroom?

Sorry to be naieve, but what is 1750 TB?:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts