Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post here, I'm just learning my way around.

My mate has offered me his Brera 2.2, an absolutely stunning looking car. I haven't had a chance to give it a proper drive yet to test the handling so wondered what the view was here.

I usually buy cars which handle very well, currently own a Corrado VR6 Storm, which is about the best there is in the handling department. Whilst I'm willing to compromise a little on handling for comfort, I do want something which doesn't act like a blamange through the corners.

It's probably going to feel a tad slow too compared to the Corrado but I've got a motorbike so not too bothered about that. I don't want the 3.2 V6 due to the fuel consumption, which seems very poor. My Corrado is a 2.9 V6, does 0-60 in the low 6s, and has incredible in-gear acceleration times and will still return 30 mpg. That's progress for you!

Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I think you will find it is slow and may be a little rough on poor roads. The latter can be 'fixed' with better dampers, the former is a "Fixture...Drive it and see if you like it is really the only way. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2.2 in black and 18inch crosspoke wheels and since owning it I have women flocking around me wanting to be seen out and about with me driving the car so much some days I take my wifes car as most of them I dont know and can be quite insistant so my advice is just buy it and see how the handling is for yourself

A

·
0 Posts
If its your mates car, then go and drive it and make your own mind up, is the only honest reply I can think of. I suspect you will find a 2.2 a bit tame after a 2.9 Corrado, but the Brera is more about being a good looking civilised tourer than being a speed machine.

We all have such differing priorities with cars that its a bit pointless me telling you mine at my advancing age as I suspect you are decades younger than me (lucky beggar if you are :D)

I'm not sure i've met anyone who seriously dislikes the Brera, and it is a beautiful design, but I've not met anyone who really raves about it either, though I probably would if I owned one.

Let us know what you think of it after having a drive...then if you dislike it for ANY reason whatsoever I'm sure the assembled members will be delighted to point out the error of your ways;):lol: I mean what do your expect on an Alfa forum :D

Anyway, hope you like it

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nev, I was surfing around on YouTube and found a Top Gear review (by James May). He said it rolled in the corners due to its weight and the conclusion was that the main reason for buying one was its looks, not its handling or performance. Oh, and because it's not a BMW, which being a motorbike rider, I have to agree with since we all know that BMWs come out of the factory without indicators.

I'll test drive it soon (the car is a fair distance from me) to make up my own mind but was interested to know what you all thought. I can't imagine that it'll be a nimble car at that weight but I'm looking for something more refined and realise that this usually comes with a compromise.

N

·
0 Posts
It's a GT, not a track car.

It handles better than a 2.0 147 in everyday usage.
Even with a more comfortable ride.

The VDC hardly ever kicks in.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I think the important thing is that there's a difference between dodgy and not cornering like it's on rails.

N

·
0 Posts
It corners fine. Very grippy. Planted.
Nice and stable on twisty roads in my (limited) experience.

As I said, better than a 147.

I think the Ti is supposed to even better, but at what cost to
ride comfort? I have no idea.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Well, quite. What I meant is that because it doesn't handle like a track car, the OP's assuming the handling's dodgy, which it clearly isn't.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
The Top Gear Test Drive Directory, Feb/March 2007, says:

"Alfa has given the Brera exceptional poise. Entering corners at high speeds doesn't unsettle it since there's very little body roll or understeer. What there is, though, is is oceans & oceans of grip, so much that the front & rear never feel anyhting other than glued to the tarmac."

Now their website says:

"Definitively not the best in class, the Brera is a strange one. Fast steering tends to highlight body roll as the car snaps into corners, and there's a lack of fluidity when you start to push on. All models understeer like they're trying to escape from the scary apex, especially the Q4 4x4 variant. More suited to cruising."

So which are we to believe?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
i definately wouldn't trust james may's review, or use it as the only opinion. first off, he is not a racing driver so how can he comment about the cornering dynamics of the car? it's only his opinion of what he feels when driving, not necessarily representing the actual grip of the car.

The brera isn't the kind of car you drive at the limit anyway

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,744 Posts
yeah, I think the word 'dodgy' is a bit of a red-herring; it implies that there might be something dangerous about the Brera's handling. I've yet to drive one, but Alfas are usually very benign; dodgy isn't a word I'd associate with an Alfa's handling.

If the OP's question is about whether the Brera's handling is below par, then only a drive will answer that - but only when seen in the context of what the Brera is; which is a cool, cruisey GT, rather than a scalpel sharp road rocket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts