Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Tarox's best for feel/reliability/power

Votes: 2 16.7%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the brakes on my 75 but can't decide between Brembo or Tarox.

for those who have, or know somebody who has experienced both would be great.... (or indeed one or other)

obviously the gta's and the like have 4 piston Brembos fitted as standard, any feedback on what they are like would be of great help too :D

please help me folks before i make yet another expensive mistake :wow:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I would imagine it would be fairly straight forward to get a mounting bracket made to mount the GTA / Brembo calipers to a 75. If the original caliper mounting is not spaced too far out then it should be possible - I know the GTA calipers can be fitted to the Sprint / 33 without too much difficulty.

The Brembo calipers I have on my 156 V6 made a big difference to the braking, not so much the overall force but more in the consistency and feel from the brakes. Also I matched these with Ferodo DS2500 pads which work very well on the road and take some serious abuse without problem.

I used some Tarox discs many years ago and they were fine and the Brembo calipers I have, originally came with Brembo discs which held up really well and couldnt be faulted.

But I have to say it is the pads that make the biggest difference to braking ability.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know i can get the brembos to fit with adaptors, but getting suitable vented and grooved discs from them is a pain. tarox discs are easier to get hold of...
iam hoping that i can get away with 4 pot brembos up front (easier to buy pads for) and tarox discs (front and rear) with the expensive ferodo pads, without having to get bigger discs....
for those who don't know, my 75 has a 24v qv unit (min 220bhp)

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Haven't had Tarox, but I do know my Brembo brakes stop me very quickly !!!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
What wheel size are you planning to use?

Obviously if you use GTA Brembos then these will need a 28mm wide disc as this is what they were originally designed for (305x28mm). I dont know anything about the 75 brakes but can you use a disc designed for another Alfa to give you bigger discs, maybe something like the 164's 281x26mm discs? I think also some of the Fiat range use 285x28mm discs

75's use a 269x22mm disc?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Have fitted Tarox drilled & grooved discs with fast road pads.Very impressed, much better than standard.Diddent think just changing discs and pads could have such an improvment over standard.Although i have no experience with Brembo so not much help:)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What wheel size are you planning to use?

Obviously if you use GTA Brembos then these will need a 28mm wide disc as this is what they were originally designed for (305x28mm). I dont know anything about the 75 brakes but can you use a disc designed for another Alfa to give you bigger discs, maybe something like the 164's 281x26mm discs? I think also some of the Fiat range use 285x28mm discs
ive tried looking but they have different offsets.... i think 156 GTA early (non radial caliper) discs can be altered to fit? typical, they aint all the same :tut:

75's use a 269x22mm disc?
bingo!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got me some 4pot Brembos, just got to get me the Tarox discs! (which will deffinatly cost me more than the 100 quid i paid for the Brembos)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts