Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After having been searching for ages, I seem not to be able to find any eLearn for a 2.0 jtd.

Nor can I find any conclusive advice on above subject, all I have is from a 1.9/2.4 eLearn procedure but this can't be correct. At least I think, a torque of approx. 40Nm seems too low to me. Besides that in this guideline there is mentioning of Allen key bolts and no advice on any Loctite.

I actually also wonder whether these torx versions are in fact not yield bolts (one time use only)?

Disassembly went pretty easy, i.d. not to much force needed. Not like for wheel bolts for instance, however reassembly by ~40 Nm seems rather low to me?

Any advice is highly appreciated, thanks!
Leo

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, yet I'm not comfortable with it. Sorry.
Hope someone has some specs at hand from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remarkable it is that workshop manual data from the 2nd and 3rd generation are so hard to get access to. Plus that I see numerous threads about replacing discs and refurbishing calipers, but none of them having directions on the torque values needed.

Just to complete my story:
The guide delivered by Brembo - bought new calipers in the end - is recommending 165 Nm for M14x1.5, which is little different.
A kind fellow member of a Dutch forum did look up for me on Autodata what's stated there for a 2.0 jtd (but also applies for 2.4) and that is 160 Nm.

So I used a very little bit of anti-seize pasta (non copper kind) on the first few winds of the bolts, very-very lightly greased the blank parts that clamp together, torqued them up in 2 steps, slackened them again and finally torqued them again at 160 Nm.

A normal M14x2.0 class 10.9 is designed for approx. 210 Nm, so from that point there isn't any issue. It's just that I'm not that specialst that can tell if there is a limiter due to the fact it is the aluminium of the calipers instead of steel to steel that is being jointed together.

Hope some one will find it useful once and of course anyone with access to the OEM prescribtions is welcome to share.

Thanks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was told many moons ago that they should be 100lb-ft but can't remember by who, it's just one of those numbers that stuck. Googled it a while ago and this seemed to be about average. I've had the Brembo's on different cars for about 7 years now and never had any problems with stripping hub threads or calipers falling off using 100lb-ft with loctite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts