Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have a gtv 3.0l v6 phase 2 1999 and need to service my calipers but im a bit confused which pistons to buy. im looking at
brakeparts.co.uk and they have 2 different sized pistons, 42mm and 38mm.

does the caliper have 2 different sized pistons or one type.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
There are 2 different size pistons in each half of the caliper

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I first got the car the bake discs where wearing uneven. So after some discussion on the forum I thought it came down to discs being warped. So I replaced them with some EBC turbo groves discs and have noticed a patern to start forming on the inner side of the discs. Not as bad as the original but noticable.

So I'm hoping to solve this by getting a repair kit and recon the calipers and thought mite aswell do the pistons aswell as the rubbers just incase it's both. Do you think I should just do the seals and not bother with the pistons.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Personally I would just do the seals and forget the pistons. One of the problems these calipers have is they are alloy and corrode under the plates the pads slide on, that can jam the pads and cause problems. I reckon your best bet is get a couple of seal kits, completely strip the calipers and repaint. Use an etch primer on the alloy. Probably solve your problems. I also think Autolusso will sell you a set of exchange refurb calipers might be worth a try if you're in the UK and timelimited.

·
Registered
841 Posts
For info - I've just added a link to a good Brembo stripping how-to guide (from the fiat coupe forum) into the how-to section at the top of the threads list.

Not my work (ans not GTV specific) - but a good starting point.

James

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I would just do the seals and forget the pistons. One of the problems these calipers have is they are alloy and corrode under the plates the pads slide on, that can jam the pads and cause problems. I reckon your best bet is get a couple of seal kits, completely strip the calipers and repaint. Use an etch primer on the alloy. Probably solve your problems. I also think Autolusso will sell you a set of exchange refurb calipers might be worth a try if you're in the UK and timelimited.
Is there any fix to the corrosion under the plates? Mine did it and the new pads wouldn't go in, I had to grind 2-3mm off the backing of the pads. Couldn't get the plates off either as the screws holding them were also corroded, and I didn't want to risk wrecking the calipers!

·
Registered
841 Posts
There's a bit about removing the pad guides in the how-to I gave a link to in the how-to section.

Unfortunately it doesn't saw where to get new guides or the bolts from.

James

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Is there any fix to the corrosion under the plates? Mine did it and the new pads wouldn't go in, I had to grind 2-3mm off the backing of the pads. Couldn't get the plates off either as the screws holding them were also corroded, and I didn't want to risk wrecking the calipers!
Those bolts are a bastrad to get out but they have to come out, you need a small chisel and patience. Us the original steel plates when rebuilding with new bolts.

Our you could by a set we have done and had powder coated for £120 on an exchange basis.

You know if you are having to grind metal off the brake pads something is wrong ;)

Ned

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Those bolts are a bastrad to get out but they have to come out, you need a small chisel and patience. Us the original steel plates when rebuilding with new bolts.

Our you could by a set we have done and had powder coated for £120 on an exchange basis.

You know if you are having to grind metal off the brake pads something is wrong ;)

Ned

Does your refurbished calipers have new seals etc?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Ned
Hi Ned
I'd be very interested to do this too. I have a spare set which I can send you to refurb. I'll be in touch by phone.
Richard

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi Autolusso.

Yes, I'm also interested in this refurb caliper offer at £120, but could you answer a couple of questions...

1) Does it include new seals (as GTV Bertone asks above).
2) Does it include VAT?
3) Can you apply new decals - I have some white BREMBO decals that the Fiat Coupe club had manufactured and I never got around to using them. Could I send them to you to be fitted?

Thanks
James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts