Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have come to my wits end trying to figure out this squeak issue with my brembo brakes. I have tried 2 sets of brake discs and 2 sets of brake pads and I still get squeaks.

I was wondering if anyone can help me out,

So I recently put a pair of new 166 brembo callipers on my brera which needed 305 rotors but there were 285 which still fitted. However my 285 had a slight lip which caused the pads to groove inwards at the outer edge. The squeak had developed from the beginning of the calliper upgrade.

I thought the fitment of the pads were too tight so, I grinded the edges back slightly so that the pads moved freely in the calliper. But then the squeak persisted so I bought a new pair of 305mm rotors thinking it was the lip on the rotor. However squeak continued to persist. I then got a new set of ferodo eco pads and still.... Then I got a pair of brembo discs to replace the eBay 305 and still... I took them off to copper grease all the relevant points and still....

The squeak is always the same, under hard/very light braking no squeak but under normal to light braking there's a very high pitch squeak

Please help me,

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I had the same issue when I put the 166 calipers on my 159, I solved it by using thin metal anti squeal shims on the back of the pads together with a thin smear of anti seize grease, I think they were listed as fitting a focus RS but use the same size pads so fitted perfectly.
Its also worth dressing the short side of the pads metal backing plate with a file as some pads are heavy with paint or cut slightly too big so can bind in the caliper when they get hot.

Why did you use 285mm discs and what from.? the standard 305mm work fine.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
What you are hearing is a 'Squeal'. This is a vibration of the pads on the discs which gets amplified by the struts and suspension. You have to find a way of stopping the pads from vibrating. This is a combination of 'Secure' fixing and 'Damping'

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue when I put the 166 calipers on my 159, I solved it by using thin metal anti squeal shims on the back of the pads together with a thin smear of anti seize grease, I think they were listed as fitting a focus RS but use the same size pads so fitted perfectly.
Its also worth dressing the short side of the pads metal backing plate with a file as some pads are heavy with paint or cut slightly too big so can bind in the caliper when they get hot.

Why did you use 285mm discs and what from.? the standard 305mm work fine.
Hi thanks for that I'll try it, do you have a link for the shims? My brera is the 07 one with the 285mm discs as standard

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are hearing is a 'Squeal'. This is a vibration of the pads on the discs which gets amplified by the struts and suspension. You have to find a way of stopping the pads from vibrating. This is a combination of 'Secure' fixing and 'Damping'
Any ideas how I'd do that on my current car?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Are you sure.? as far as I know they only ever came with 305 or 330mm front discs, Not that it is going to affect the squealing.
Sorry no link as it was a long time ago but I remember the shims being listed for a mk1 focus rs and a subaru sti

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the same problem when fitted brembo calipers from 166 to 159 with 305mm discs.
The only way to fix it - use antisqueal shims like MR475618(for Mitsubishi EVO and another cars with brembo 4pot) + Liqui Moly Bremsen-Anti-Quietsch-Paste.
LM product need to be applied between pad and shim + between shim and brake cylinders of the caliper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts