Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partsworld have a Brembo brake assembly for sale see Brembo Brake Assembly - GTV the advert states "This is suitable for the Alfa Romeo 916 GTV & Spider 3.0 V6 24v 1998 onwards. The discs are 300mm in diameter." I have asked them direct if it will fit my 2001 3.0 V6 24v and supplied my VIN - they replied they aren't able to check using the VIN but they think it should fit my car, so a bit of a fudged reply.

The description says the brake discs are Brembo 300mm but I understand the 3.0 V6 24v standard ones are 305mm, also aware they are different versions of wheel bearings and hubs based on production age and model version. There are no part numbers quoted on the advert to check. The only serial number I can get from enlarging the photo of the rear of the assembly is on the back of the wheel hub which shows SNR 0812955504 FRANCE 98K

Is anyone able to confirm if these will be suitable for my 2001 3.0 V6 24v Spider?

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am not aware of anything other than 305mm or 330 Brembos (the latter was used on the 3.2 V6 I believe) so if they really are 300 (worth asking them to recheck) then then that is wrong. Original fitment on yours was 305. The part number you have quoted is off the wheel bearing not the hub. What is important is that the hub carrier they have in the picture has the fitment for the ABS sensor which picks the signal up from a reluctor ring on the CV joint. My 2000 W 3.0 V6 24V has a hole drilled in the hub carrier which uses a different type of ABS sensor and which picks the signal up from a magnetic disc on the wheel bearing itself. I assume, with yours being later than mine, that it has the same set up as I believe the early cars had the reluctor ring on the CV joint. I believe there is also a difference in the the number of spines on the drive shaft on some variants too so the hub may not fit on your drive shaft either. In summary, I doubt that this will be a straight swop onto your car but the way to check is to put the car on full lock, and look at where the CV joint goes into the back of the hub (you may need to jack the car up and remove the road wheel to see clearly). If the CV joint has a castellated reluctor ring on it then you are likely to be OK if not you could probably use the disc, pads and Brembo caliper (assuming they are really 305mm) but the rest would not fit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did not find brake discs 300x28, 300x24, 300x22, which would have a centering hole 59.1mm and a bolt spacing of 98mm. Brembo calipers are similar, but not the same as in the Gtv or Fiat Coupe. So either this is a mistake in the description, or they rolled 305mm discs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, just checked and yes I have the same ABS set-up as you. I'll go back and ask PW to check the 300mm, as like you I'm only aware of the 300 and 330 Brembos.
Just noticed my typo - it should read "I'm only aware of the 305 and 330 Brembos"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed this up with Partsworld, still didn't get a definitive response and then noticed the GTV Brembo brake assembly has now been removed from the GTV/Spider listings on the website, I guess there's the answer!

But it's still available to buy as a single item rather than a pair and is listed as a desk ornament in the clearance section with no reference to a specific Alfa Romeo model. Desk Ornament - Alfa Romeo Brake Setup

·
Vendor
45,958 Posts
If you've got a 3.0 GTV and are wanting to spend money on your front brakes, then best thing to buy is the 330mm kit from the GT 3.2 & late GTAs. Pair of calipers, brackets, bolts, shims & spring clips, pair of discs 330x32mm and a set of brake pads. It all bolts straight on, no need to change anything like hoses, hubs or whatever. The 17" GTV teledials clear the brakes too. Great bolt on upgrade to give modern stopping power to the GTV V6. Most of the original 305mm calipers are in need of refurbishing now due to corrosion under the shims trapping the pads.

I keep both new & used 330mm brembo calipers, brackets etc in stock.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I bought a set of these sometime ago and the brake discs are 305mm. Description was incorrect for some reason.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I followed this up with Partsworld, still didn't get a definitive response and then noticed the GTV Brembo brake assembly has now been removed from the GTV/Spider listings on the website, I guess there's the answer!

But it's still available to buy as a single item rather than a pair and is listed as a desk ornament in the clearance section with no reference to a specific Alfa Romeo model. Desk Ornament - Alfa Romeo Brake Setup
Hi how are you?

Did you buy the discs and calipers from Partsworld? I contacted them a few months ago asking the same question as mine are 305mm. They said they were 300mm? I have a 3.2 v6 24v 2004 and looking to replace my calipers which are corroded. I could get them refurbished, but for the price PW are selling them and the discs it works out a lot cheaper!

I was considering upgrading to the 330mm but can't justify the price at the moment plus I like to keep the car original!

Bit confused by their 'clock ornament' which I discovered by accident this afternoon!

Hope you or anyone else can help

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
950 Posts
They only have this left now. It’s for a passenger side. The discs are / were 305mm, I measured them

·
Registered
7 Posts
They only have this left now. It’s for a passenger side. The discs are / were 305mm, I measured them
Thanks for letting me know.

Really annoying as I need both sides. I either get one of these and see if an offside pops up somewhere or get the offside refurbished.

Or I save up and get the 330mm upgrade! What do people think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
If you've got a 3.0 GTV and are wanting to spend money on your front brakes, then best thing to buy is the 330mm kit from the GT 3.2 & late GTAs. Pair of calipers, brackets, bolts, shims & spring clips, pair of discs 330x32mm and a set of brake pads. It all bolts straight on, no need to change anything like hoses, hubs or whatever. The 17" GTV teledials clear the brakes too. Great bolt on upgrade to give modern stopping power to the GTV V6. Most of the original 305mm calipers are in need of refurbishing now due to corrosion under the shims trapping the pads.

I keep both new & used 330mm brembo calipers, brackets etc in stock.
This. Rather than refurbing the brakes that were on there, I just put a 330 kit on. Just spanner work. Car stands on its nose now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This. Rather than refurbing the brakes that were on there, I just put a 330 kit on. Just spanner work. Car stands on its nose now.
Hi

Thanks for this info!

I keep reading different things about the upgrade. My friend who has a GTA says it's not really worth the expense and others say it won't make much difference due to the brake cylinder on the gtv.

But then other people like yourself says its definitely better!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Hi

Thanks for this info!

I keep reading different things about the upgrade. My friend who has a GTA says it's not really worth the expense and others say it won't make much difference due to the brake cylinder on the gtv.

But then other people like yourself says its definitely better!
To be fair, I hardly drove the car with the original brakes as it was all a bit knackered. But the car now brakes as well as a GT 3.2 or a GTA - possibly better as it is lighter. The 330s seem to be a sweet spot for pedal modulation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the car for 15 years and always felt the brakes are a bit spongy and lacking in immediate bite! Never felt confidence in them even though I know they will do the job!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I fitted 330’s to my Gtv as it need discs for mot back in 2017. It made a big difference I only drove the Gtv to the mot and back with the 305’s on it but did notice the difference when driving it back for retest the Gtv had been off the road for 5 years when I brought it. The Gtv brakes are as good as my 156 gta with 330’s on it.
I drive my Fiat Coupe 20vt on a daily basis when I drive the Gtv or Gta you stop loads quicker. Was thinking about 330’s on the coupe but want to keep it standard ish

1 - 18 of 18 Posts