Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
There, their, they're. No need to worry!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hands up who should have asked for a dictionary for Christmas! :read: :biglaugh:
Couldn't agree more. Never sure if its auto correct or not, sometimes its just the ever creeping americanisation of the English language and culture!
Its brakes, Tyre, boot, bumper and bonnet in English lets keep it that way!
We don't have baby showers, school proms or a perversion of football whereby you can run with the ball either!

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
It would be your lifetime's work to find and correct all the poor English on here.
I've only recently just about managed to turn a blind eye to it.
Poor use of the apostrophe, or in some cases no use at all, is one of the main culprits, as in stewal's example above.
Sorry stewal. I don't generally target people.

Reactions: Simon_GT

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
No problem. I'm just relieved there is someone more up tight than me!
Hardly ''up tight'', more ''educated'' :wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be your lifetime's work to find and correct all the poor English on here.
I've only recently just about managed to turn a blind eye to it.
Poor use of the apostrophe, or in some cases no use at all, is one of the main culprits, as in stewal's example above.
Sorry stewal. I don't generally target people.

I don't normally think of commenting on any of the poor spelling/grammar/punctuation as tbh, it's a bit petty on a forum like this. But once in a while, like with the above mentioned breaks / brakes, I thought it ought to be flagged so someone might actually learn from what is obviously a bit of poor spelling rather than just a typo or lazy punctuation.

Brakes are brakes, whether in the UK or the US. And if they are broken, they are still brakes, not breaks :wink_org:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've put up with it grudgingly but have recently started a minor fight back. Facebook is the worst. Now I "unfriend" people who put apostrophes in the wrong place or who don't know the difference between their and there. I correct a few of their more stupid looking posts for them first just to give them a chance. Not that I get any thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't normally think of commenting on any of the poor spelling/grammar/punctuation as tbh, it's a bit petty on a forum like this. But once in a while, like with the above mentioned breaks / brakes, I thought it ought to be flagged so someone might actually learn from what is obviously a bit of poor spelling rather than just a typo or lazy punctuation.

Brakes are brakes, whether in the UK or the US. And if they are broken, they are still brakes, not breaks :wink_org:
But if your Brakes do Break while you Braking, you may end up Breaking something or someone ... either way you're going to end up Broke :smash:

Reactions: Simon_GT

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
erm...rant room ;)
:thumbup: Indeed.
There must be hundreds of threads like this in there.
I thought we were above all that nonsense in here...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts