Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I signed up yesterday for some advice regarding snapped cam belt on a 146 2.0 Ti. There is shed loads of info on here and reading through it takes a while but is very informative.

I was told my cam belt had snapped by the RAC fella who came out when I broke down. He asked me the symptoms and I explained them to him. Straight away he said I had a snapped cam belt and arranged for myself and car to be towed back home.

This was two months ago and as I have two of these I decided to run around in the older one until I had enough courage to check on potential dammage and check out repair costs :rolleyes:

After reading through the forums today I went out and took off the cam belt cover only to find that neither belts are snapped.

So now I am completely baffled. The car would not turn over in neutral but if I engaged gear and it would move by starter motor. No horrible noises could be heard.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it maybe not mechanincal at all and possibly ignition probs?

The none-turnover of engine but movement on starter motor is the one that is really getting me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mutley

·
Registered
429 Posts
you say that the motor turns over when in gear and will move the car on the starter while doing so.
are the cams moving too while you're doing this ? it is possible for the belt to have stripped some teeth off and still look intact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.

I have not checked if they are moving but will do when battery is recharged.

What I can say is belt looks fine. No perishing and as far as I can see on first inspection no teeth missing.

Regards

Mutley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts