Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new pads and discs fitted to the front earlier. When I press the break pedal hard it triggers the break pad wear warning. Didn't have this warning before getting the new pads fitted. The mechanic checked everything over with the sensor connection and thinks it might be a faulty sensor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If the brakes are working ok and have been checked, I would just unplug it. But that's me :)

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
My 156 does it, I thought it was a feature, not a fault!
It is a feature if the monitored pad is worn out, it is a fault if it isn't.

To the OP: of the eight brake pads on your car, only one has the wear sensor.
But yes, get it checked out.

If you are happy to check the pads yourself at regular intervals, you could just live without the sensor, but something isn't right with yours to be triggering with new pads.
May just be a broken wire shorting to earth.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brakes are working fine. Strange though. Might consider the unplug. The mechanic is getting another brake pads to see if it was the sensor that is faulty or not.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine seems to come as the abs starts to operate, but not entirely sure as my driving doesn't routinely activate it. Mine had new discs and pads all round just before I got as well.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can the sensor be disconnected and remove the warning straight away or is reset required through the ECU?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Can the sensor be disconnected and remove the warning straight away or is reset required through the ECU?
The "sensor" is just a wire shorting to earth, completing the circuit. Remove the short and the light goes out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a quick thought - have you checked the brake fluid level recently. I went to the garage to get new pads when my light came on but embarrassingly it was just low brake fluid. Good job the mechanic was my mate :)

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Just a quick thought - have you checked the brake fluid level recently. I went to the garage to get new pads when my light came on but embarrassingly it was just low brake fluid. Good job the mechanic was my mate :)
Different warning light.
The low brake fluid warning is shared with the handbrake.

L

·
0 Posts
what is the symbol that illuminates when you press the pedal hard? please describe it. if its the pad worn indicator perhaps the wire is routed incorrected.

The solution to this problem ain't rocket science, your mechanic should be able to fix it be simply removing the wheel & looking.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is the symbol that illuminates when you press the pedal hard? please describe it. if its the pad worn indicator perhaps the wire is routed incorrected.

The solution to this problem ain't rocket science, your mechanic should be able to fix it be simply removing the wheel & looking.
When the brake pedal is depressed hard, a message comes up saying something like 'replace front brake pads' then a symbol like this: (O) stays on the dash.

I removed the wheel and checked all connections, all seems fine. I disconnected the wire from the pad completely and took it for a test drive, no more warning light once braking hard.

Faulty pad sensor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts