Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I haven't had one of these for about 5 months and it's only the second time but managed to capture it going off on my CCTV.. It appears that nobody was near the vehicle so it's a false alarm but all the system did was flash all the lights because I didn't hear any sirens or whatever from inside the house, switching to one of my other cameras with audio I could hear what sounded like the extended bleep when you disarm the vehicle only.. is this how the alarm works and sounds or is this a known quirk?

cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think this has happened to me at least twice, but I’ve also had it go off with full loud horn as I expected. It’s being added to the expanding list of things for the first service in January!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this has happened to me at least twice, but I’ve also had it go off with full loud horn as I expected. It’s being added to the expanding list of things for the first service in January!
Let us know how you get on, don't fancy another visit to the dealer yet unless the alarm has failed..

Regards testing it, I suppose if I sit inside the car then arm the alarm and move about that should set it off properly? Need to know whether it's working or not as the partial alarm (with just lights flashing is a bit weird).

·
Registered
33,771 Posts
Your original battery had possibly discharged when the car was in stock as a used car? They never recover.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your original battery had possibly discharged when the car was in stock as a used car? They never recover.
Ah good point cue2... so as long as I keep this new one charged it should be Ok.. guess you're still on the original with no problems..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Happened to me when I jacked up one of the wheels.
(I was trying to find out if the undertray had a trap door to access the sump plug / filter. It doesn't)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's gone off twice in two days now.. full 26 second alarm noise and flashing lights.. Both times I never heard it for some reason (must be going deaf) but the Mrs did, played it back on CCTV and it's not that loud like the screeching GTV siren.. On the last occasion after doing extensive reading on the problem, it appears there are a number of possible reasons. 1. faulty sensor that needs to be replaced 2. sensitivity adjustment lowered with an EUscan or witech tool. I also switched off the tilt / tow sensor on the overhead light switch which obviously didn't help after the first false alarm so it's got to back to the garage, I live in a quiet cul de sac so there's no rumbling of passing vehicles or anything .. right PITA this ... I can hear the neighbours .. oh it's one of the Alfa blokes bloody cars again :)

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
...... I also switched off the tilt / tow sensor on the overhead light switch which obviously didn't help after the first false alarm so it's got to back to the garage, .....
just a remark, I assume you know you have to switch off the tilt/interior sensor each time you close the car..... It's re-enabled next time you start the car.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Low battery maybe? worth a charge, or a long drive?
It's got a brand new battery fitted, like a few weeks old which has now made the start / stop work although I have read about voltage drop possibly causing it.. wonder if the sensors pickup a voltage drop it goes off even though there's enough charge to power everything? guess i'm clutching at straws on that idea but I'll book it in.. can't deal with the no alarm situation..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a remark, I assume you know you have to switch off the tilt/interior sensor each time you close the car..... It's re-enabled next time you start the car.....
Yeah defo, I think I was reading some of your contribution jwq on the long Giulia thread about the issue.. I switched it off before I primed the alarm on the last occasion it went off so that rules out the tilt sensor I guess.. on that long thread they mention water or moisture shorting out some sensor under the bonnet.. alarm only appears to go off when the car gets mist and dew on it at night so could be something like that?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Yeah defo, I think I was reading some of your contribution jwq on the long Giulia thread about the issue.. I switched it off before I primed the alarm on the last occasion it went off so that rules out the tilt sensor I guess.. on that long thread they mention water or moisture shorting out some sensor under the bonnet.. alarm only appears to go off when the car gets mist and dew on it at night so could be something like that?
I doubt it, but who knows ;)
There are 2 bonnet switches, one left, one right to indicate an open bonnet..... You could check and/or spray the switches with sillicone spray to keep water out, but I doubt that is the cause.
There has been a recall excercise for the ceiling dome unit which contains the ultrasonic interior alarm as well as the tilt sensor, but I would expect the problem to (temporarily) go away using the switch, which does not seem to be the case for you.....
see

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that jwq, nice to have some documentation explaining the problem so I can talk to the dealer if they get a bit defensive..

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 'Break in attempt detected' seems to be a standard Alfa message following the alarm being activated. My Mito and Brera both showed that message after the alarm was activated despite it being caused my other issues and neither (to my knowledge) have ever had an attempted break-in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts