Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a Daily Mail sentence unless he has a history of doing similar. I, for one, am disgusted by the decision.
Really? Driving his girlfriends car while she's screaming in the passenger seat to get out, onto a race track in the middle of a live race isn't extremely dangerous, let alone stupid? Fully deserves whatever they decided to throw at him IMO.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Really? Driving his girlfriends car while she's screaming in the passenger seat to get out, onto a race track in the middle of a live race isn't extremely dangerous, let alone stupid? Fully deserves whatever they decided to throw at him IMO.
What, if any of it was against the law?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
It was a prank. Stupid and dangerous, as you say, but we do mad things when we're young. No one was hurt. If he's a decent sort then the experience of court and a slap on the wrist should be enough punishment. If he isn't a decent sort then eight months inside isn't going to change that. I don't believe in "making an example" of people - if anything the judiciary should be the fairest possible. Bad decision.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It was a prank. Stupid and dangerous, as you say, but we do mad things when we're young. No one was hurt. If he's a decent sort then the experience of court and a slap on the wrist should be enough punishment. If he isn't a decent sort then eight months inside isn't going to change that. I don't believe in "making an example" of people - if anything the judiciary should be the fairest possible. Bad decision.
If you'd ever taken Paddock Hill Bend at anywhere near the limit, you'd know that the prospect of some plank driving out onto the circuit at about 30mph right on the line you were taking isn't one to be shrugged off as a "mad thing, but no one was hurt" :eek: Someone could very easily have been seriously hurt.

Full-throttle Cottle's excuse was that he'd been dared to do it, so he had to - and he'd do it again..........

My only regret is that he'll serve four months or less - if it had been possible I'd have loved to see him lose his road licence, too.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
If you'd ever taken Paddock Hill Bend at anywhere near the limit, you'd know that the prospect of some plank driving out onto the circuit at about 30mph right on the line you were taking isn't one to be shrugged off as a "mad thing, but no one was hurt" :eek: Someone could very easily have been seriously hurt.

Full-throttle Cottle's excuse was that he'd been dared to do it, so he had to - and he'd do it again..........

My only regret is that he'll serve four months or less - if it had been possible I'd have loved to see him lose his road licence, too.
Why not have him flogged while you're at it?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Why not have him flogged while you're at it?

:rolleyes:

It's a thought........but seriously, don't you think someone who'd drive (someone else's) car so recklessly is likely to be a danger on the road, too?

I'm intrigued by your comment " If he isn't a decent sort then eight months inside isn't going to change that.", too - as he plainly isn't a "decent sort" do I take it that you think he shouldn't have received any punishment?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
It's a thought........but seriously, don't you think someone who'd drive (someone else's) car so recklessly is likely to be a danger on the road, too?

I'm intrigued by your comment " If he isn't a decent sort then eight months inside isn't going to change that.", too - as he plainly isn't a "decent sort" do I take it that you think he shouldn't have received any punishment?
I don't think you can say whether he's a decent sort or not from a single event. If he has a history of being a twonk then, by all means, throw the book at him. If he isn't a twonk then the court process by itself will have been punishment enough. I think I already said that.

I remember being young and doing daft things.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
True... but I hope the court will have taken that all into account. They're the professionals and they know all the details of the case, whereas we don't. I have to trust that all things considered they got it about right..?

Now, if only he'd set a new lap record... :D

Ralf S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts