Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay okay ya guessed :) yes brand new thermostat fitted to my 16v jtd and its passing warm water to rad before temp gets to 88c (FES)
manufacturered by FACET supplied by alfaworkshop

i noticed stat wasnt playing right when i first fitted it along with new radiator :mad: but you know alfa's tempermental as always but i gave it a chance to sort it self :D but no its not playing :confused:

so with me writing thermostat thread >>>>> http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/206878-thermostat-check-thread.html ive come to conclusion yes YOU CAN BE SUPPLIED a faulty stat as few post in there confirm this :wow:

so advice from you all ...whats my action to remedy this ? email to facet or alfaworkshop or both?

D

·
0 Posts
Thats unfortunate - Alfaworkshop however are the suppliers and thats who your contract is with.

Might be worth giving them a call rather than email - never heard anyone on here say theyve had a problem in dealing with them so cant imagine you will have any issues

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats unfortunate - Alfaworkshop however are the suppliers and thats who your contract is with.

Might be worth giving them a call rather than email - never heard anyone on here say theyve had a problem in dealing with them so cant imagine you will have any issues
:thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
Dave, I find when fitting thermostat into facelift cars they tend to run between the '70' mark & 90. have you tried turning off the air-con to see if it runs any hotter.

As a matter of interest, you know the notch on the rad pipe connection, was that at the 12 o'clock position or the 3 o'clock position?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my face lift interior car (2.4) performs text book

what would ac have anything to do with it......i think you getting at cooling fans kicking in i guess........nah i turn heater a/c off as well

cant remember about positions but fitted correctly

L

·
0 Posts
when the air-con is on the fan runs more frequently & therefore possibly cooler???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dave, I find when fitting thermostat into facelift cars they tend to run between the '70' mark & 90. have you tried turning off the air-con to see if it runs any hotter.

As a matter of interest, you know the notch on the rad pipe connection, was that at the 12 o'clock position or the 3 o'clock position?
Just curious, are the stats for different car if the notch is at 12/3. the original notch was at 12 position and i got a new one and it was at 3 position, just curious lol

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
when the air-con is on the fan runs more frequently & therefore possibly cooler???
Only if there's coolant passing through the rad, which there shouldn't be unless the 'stat is open.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just curious, are the stats for different car if the notch is at 12/3. the original notch was at 12 position and i got a new one and it was at 3 position, just curious lol
I changed mine at the weekend and noticed this also! Cant remember the brand of my stat but will try and find out. I just pinched the pipe over the notch and made sure the clip was okay. Its been running fine and at the correct temp too with the fan kick in as it should, guess I'll just leave it untill I notice anything a miss

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update ...after conversation with jamie porter yesterday ..........he sent me email saying he will exchange or refund my stat .amongst other things on how stats work :rolleyes:..so im in process of sorting genuine one out at this moment ....... i didnt want to go with replacement as it could be faulty batch

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just ordered a stat from Euro car parts, cost £41.75 next day delivery.
Will be fitting it saturday so will let you know how I do :D

Quick question, I assume the new stat comes with a gasket, but is it recommended to add any additional sealent?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quick question, I assume the new stat comes with a gasket, but is it recommended to add any additional sealent?
gasket is there for a reason .......no sealant required just make sure surfaces are clean

M

·
0 Posts
I just got a new stat from Alfa workshop for my 2.4 20v

Either the stat is opening late or temp sensor that came with it is reading high on ecu and gauge.

The notch on mine was in the correct position for the hose.

Trying to figure it out at moment but going to throw on sensor from old stat and if still funny take stat off and test it in hot water...

Will post results for others when I get sorted

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got a new stat from Alfa workshop for my 2.4 20v

Either the stat is opening late or temp sensor that came with it is reading high on ecu and gauge.

The notch on mine was in the correct position for the hose.

Trying to figure it out at moment but going to throw on sensor from old stat and if still funny take stat off and test it in hot water...

Will post results for others when I get sorted
throwing stat in hot water not a good gauge to test as cooling system is under pressure

what is yours opening at ? should be 88c and fully open at 102c

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same problem with the same stat in question. I believe i did post on the forum for suggestions. I returned the stat and bought a genuine alfa and problem solved.

D

·
0 Posts

What stat did you order - the twinnie stats are £ 37.80 - or £28.35 with ecp 25% "xmaspart25" discount

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the same problem with the same stat in question. I believe i did post on the forum for suggestions. I returned the stat and bought a genuine alfa and problem solved.
my 2.4 10v had genuine on it and thats is perfect but got told its faulty like i wouldnt know :cheese:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts