Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 155 1.7TS E2 and whenever I touch the brakes there is a sound that sounds like squeezing a mouse. I think it is coming from the big round metal box in the motorcompartiment at drivers side. There normally is a membrane in this box and my guess is that it is leaking air!
When I hit the brakes gently my car pulls to the left, but when I hit it hard, it goes straight as it should.
Does anyone have any idea if I should replace the box? or only the break cilinder that is mounted on this box?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The metal box you refer to is called the brake servo. If the membrane in this is leaking, you would notice your brake pedal being harder to depress, as you are not getting as much assistance from the servo. I've not checked on my 155, but on other cars you can replace just the servo unit without the master cylinder etc., avoiding a lot of messing with the brakes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Storm
Richward is right, but the pulling is probably due to a sticking caliber in right hand fron caliber.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richward, thanx!
Elp, what do you mean with the sticking caliber in right hand from caliber?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think he means caliper. This is the actual brake assembly where the pads fit. The piston will have become stuck , usually due to your brake pads being low. What you need to do is push the puston back in, so it becomes unstuck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Storm
Henry is right. Perhaps a worn brake pad has coursed the internal piston to “wobble” at a time, which has coursed some scares in the cylinder wall. This can course some sticking, which is overcome when you press harder on the brake pedal. If this is the case you’ll have to have the caliper cylinder honed and new rubber seals for the piston (both sides or you might get pulling to the opposite site).
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Storm, again
Well, you always have a tendency to think of the most complicated of faults when you hear of symptoms. You might have an airlock in one of the brake fluid circus, so before dismantling anything, bleed the hydraulic brake system.
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A common fault on the 145/146/155/156 is seized rear brake calipers.
My local alfa dealer said the very first batch of RHD 156 were recalled to modify the rear calipers.
My 2.0TS had this problem.
It's not the piston that seizes , but the two long pins either side of the caliper housing.
Normally the gaiter comes off or splits allowing water/dirt to wash away the grease then the inevtible corrosion leads to poor braking. My 155 rear brakes had seized totally on one side.
Fortunately it was a easy repair to do myself.
*TIP -- if you attempt to repair the rear brakes remember that to push the piston back in you must unscrew the bleed nipple on the caliper !!!, It took me ages to work this out.

Steve G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Elp and SGG: thanks for all these hints and tips. Haven't seen any chance to get to it to start repair but as soon as I do, I will keep you all updated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts