Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started overhauling my brakes today, I got as far as new front discs and hoses.

Straight to the point, I have the wrong DS2500 pads. Take a look at the pic, does this look familier to anyone, is it from a 16v or v6, ect? The box does not mention Alfa at all, only Fiat Coupe 20V T. But I did check with motor sport world yesterday and they confirmed they were ok.

My calipers are made by Girling. The pad faces are the same so do you think I could sore off the other bits?
Im going to give them a call tommorow morning.

BTW is it normal to have to heat up the hose joints to undo them? the nut completely rounded off on both sides!(only done fronts so far) so I had to use grips! :rolleyes:
And another prob was that a bleed screw was stuck solid, so more heat was needed to move the bugger and now its mangles up. was a bit worried with brake fluid and a blow torch! :eek:

Thanks for any help
Jack

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
The pad deffo looks like a 156 one :confused: and dont worry, brakefluid doesn't burn that well; been there, seen that. Any steam/gas/air from boiling brakefluid will disappear once the stuff cools down again. Don't start to grind those pads into shape, it's only something you do when all other options fail. Bring it back, demand the right stuff, and a discount :D

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TVM, we will see tomorrow, what annoys me is that I phoned and checked and still its wrong :mad:
Prob is its all done by post seeing as im in London and they are in Scotland :rolleyes:

Now I need a new bleed screw :eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jack the the number for the standard pad is FDB768 but if you want there is an electronic catalogue for all Federal Mogul parts Here ;) ;) ;) :D :D
BTW my 2 litre 16 valve uses the same pads. ;) :D

T

·
0 Posts
The pads off your car are Lucas Girling ones, and the ones with the big lugs are ATE. There are are least two types of caliper fitted to the fronts of late 155s. The ones on mine are the same as yours - Girling. You can buy them here

Main page here

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its all done now, they delivered the correct ones on Tuesday, all seems well, only done 10 miles and need more bedding in, :)

Thanks for your help ;)

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
AlfaJack said:
BTW is it normal to have to heat up the hose joints to undo them?

And another prob was that a bleed screw was stuck solid, so more heat was needed to move the bugger and now its mangles up. was a bit worried with brake fluid and a blow torch!
I'd suggest that that you now need new calipers. NOT a good idea to use heat on them!

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They seem fine now, I also bled the clutch through with silicon fluid and now its much much lighter :D

makes me think there was lots of crud in there, i have left it on the workbench so i can look once the fluids have separated :D

J

·
0 Posts
Hi
I had simmilar problems getting the right pads for my calipers, in the end I went to halfords and opened up the ferodo box they had for the pads listed for the 155, and checked the shape against on old pad, then I looked in thier parts book for other 155 listings and again checked the pad shape, I then took the main reference code and ordered the ds2500 elswhere.
FGN

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Erhm Jack...

Unless you were having silicon fluid in there already, I would not advice on changing your brake fluid with a silicone one unless you have drained the system COMPLETELY, as they dont mix well. Any old brake fluid will be trapped in corners of the system and will pickup the excessive moist and thus accelerating any degeneration/oxidation in your brake system. If you switch from regular brake fluid to silicone based it's recommended that you wash out the system completely. On another and not least scaring note; some ABS systems is said to bog down when silicone based fluid is used: eek:

-- Hoygs

W

·
0 Posts
Agree with Hoygs...I dont understand the obsession with silicon fluid. From what I've read Hoygaards words are correct plus any moisture entering the system will also get trapped (along with the old fluid!) as its not absorbed by the fluid like good old dot4 or 5.1.

Its not supposed to be very seal friendly either :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, :) I remember all this, but spoken to various people and it all seems fine, the silicon stuff will not draw any water in so in theory I will not have to change it again, they do not mix at all, its like oil and water.

On the bottle itself it says that it works well with DOT 3, 4, 5, 5.1. and my dads had it in his spider for years now, and there were 2 new bottles in the garage (cheapscate me) :eek:

The ABS is working fine and the brakes feel great :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts