Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of four Red Dot discs and fast road pads a while back from the site shop and was asked to comment on them. They are well and truly bedded in now having done about 500 mile. These are the six groove items, by the way.

My observations are that there is not too much difference at low speeds but from high speed they are much more progressive in feel and insprie confidence if you need to brake late for corners. Downsides are that the pad wear warning wires are not compatible with the standard connections and there is a slight tendancy to squeel but not much. Initially the brakes grabbed a bit from cold activating very slightly the ABS but not now the bedding in process is complete. Cannot comment about brake fade since I never experienced that before.

Overall if you are considering changing or upgrading your brakes I feel this is a very worthwhile kit which is very simple to fit. It must be as I did it!

Phil

PS I have retained to standard flexible hoses but I think I will swop to stainless braided and use Dot 5 fluid soon.

C

·
0 Posts
Glad you're pleased with them. I had a set of Tar-Ox 6 grovers on a Mondeo. I felt the same way but the murdered the pads. They lasted half as long with them.

Cheers for the discs by the way. Much appreciated. :) I missed the remark you made about listening to radio 4 while you were waiting for me at Gaydon, but I still stand by my comments. Its Drivel. Almost as bad as Sarah Cox on Radio 1. Sorry Phil. Maybe its my age.

C

·
0 Posts
I'd avoid playing with brake fluid by the way. Its shared with the clutch system and I had awfull trouble with the clutch when I did it. If it ain't broke......

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a set of 20 groove discs & fast road pads fitted and agree that after bedding in they are much better from high speeds the downside i find is that when cold you have to really stand on the pedal to get them to work

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris

Don't know about radio four and drivel, at my age I get more concerned about dribble! Anyhow, glad the discs were of use and good to meet you.

Think I'll avoid the brake fluid change sounds a bit risky.

Phil

M

·
0 Posts
Fitted my Red Dot pads yesterday.
I've now got...

Rear: Standard Discs and Lockheed Pads
Front: 6 Groove Discs (from Brembo Blanks) and Red Dot Pads.

Like Phil said, no difference from cold but as they heat up....WOW !!!!
My brakes haven't bedded in properly yet so can't give a proper verdict but, braking on the motorway, they start off normal and as they get hotter, they bite more and more without having to press the pedal much further. I have noticed that I no longer get any fade on my country road bleeshes. They don't squeel yet as I used a ton of copper grease. When that dries, I'll get the earplugs out.
I have Goodridge Stainless Steel brake hoses to fit which will hopefully get done next week with the oil change (only 8000 miles late eek! ).

Will let you know if the hoses make a difference.

Marlon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts