Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to rebuild calibers? i have a 1983 spider and thay are frozen i have rebuilt american how do i remove the pistons i have already bought the rebuild kit jbarn53

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
a garage will remove them with hydraulic pressure.
The best way is really when they are connected to the car (or have you removed them already?)- you drop the caliper off the disc (so the piston can move), spray behind the seal with something like PB blaster and let it soak in a good while, and apply brake pressure. One should move, then clamp this back in with a c clamp or some other invention you can think of:) and do it again hopefully to release t'OTHER!
If you have an air compressor then you could try that through the hole, though an air compressor has nothing the power of the brake system.
Another method used by motorcyclists is to get a grease nipple that fits, then use a quality grease gun to push out the piston (all the grease needs to be thoroughly cleaned out of the caliper after!
- be careful, they can shoot out and cause someone serious damage when using air or hydraulic pressure!

Or take them to a local garage, they will be able to set them up on the hydraulic system.

Remember that alfa pistons have to be put back turned at the right angle. They have a slot in the top that you align with a special tool (you can make it yourself)
a pattern is here:
Setting Correct Piston Alignment for 115 series cars

read through this for some tips (your own US alfa forum:) - better join it quick:)
Easy as 1 2 3 Brake Rebuild - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts