Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the front brake pads? I have a 159 Ti and its been in the garage getting some tlc. I was given a brand new 159 as a courtesy car and the brakes were like night and day. My Alfa has done 32K miles and I dont think the brakes have ever been looked at as there's nothing in the handbook.

Is it an easy'ish job and where can I buy decent pads? Should I be doing the disc's as well when i come to think about it?

Any advice mooch appreciated :)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
pads are pretty easy on the front of a Ti. the Brembo's have 2 pins that help hold the pads in position; a hammer and hole punch are required to knock them out, and a spring-clip/plate will come out too. you should then give the calipers a good clean to minimise brake-squeal. the pistons need to be pushed back; first loosen the brake fluid reservoir cap in the engine bay; use a narrow block of wood or similar, and use it to push the pistons back (do-able by hand). this will squeeze brake fluid back up to the reservoir so keep an eye on the level; it's not expected to overflow, but you may need to suck some out (if it ends up over the 'full' line).

apply copper grease to the edges of the new pads, on the areas where they slide in/out against the calipers. if there's a (metal) shim attached to the back of the original pads, reuse them. the shims and grease help prevent squeal.

once re-assembled and wheels on, lowered to ground: give the brake pedal a few firm pushes (first push will likely have excessive travel cos you've pushed the pistons back in). then check your fluid level and refit the reservoir cap.

rear pads are different cos of different caliper design. you will need a piston rewind tool.

it's an opportunity to fit upgraded pads if you have the $$. perhaps Ferodo DS2500. do some research. DS Performance may suffice for your needs if you don't want to spend too much. depending upon the pads, they may require a specific bedding-in procedure, so refer to manufacturer recommendations.

as for discs, if the surface is very uneven, then replace them, or have them machined. but it depends on the remaining thickness. little bit more work to replace the discs. you'll need the right tools to remove the calipers and a torque wrench and threadlock to refit them. Torx-E bolt heads IIRC.

note: i've not changed pads on the Ti, but the calipers are virtually identical to the Brembos on my GT, which i've worked on. whether it's easy'ish depends on your experience, but it is one of the easier jobs.

:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wanna do the same. I'm just not sure if I buy pads for the 2.2 that they won't be same as found on the Ti & S. Is there a size or part number I can search on?

BTW nice little guide.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Go for these:thumbs:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for guide on how to change my pads Mr Shiny Car. Do you have an exact link to the Ferodo and DS Performance pads. I'm useless at find the exact product and there seems to be a number of different options :confused:

Cheers :)

·
7,713 Posts
Ferodo Racing (Ti fitment will be the same as for the 3.2 JTS and 2.4 JTD)

front DS Performance is FDS1334
front DS2500 is FCP1334

these are the exact same fitment as on the GT and GTA (with 330mm discs).

rears for the 159 are FDS1795 (DS Performance).

as SR suggested, Performance Friction also come highly recommended for these brakes. i'm unsure if they have similar rear pads though.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Am having Tarox front grooved and drilled discs with Tarox fast road pads fitted this week.

Will post some photos as soon as I have the car back :thumbs:

·
7,713 Posts
i quite like Tarox products. i've got the 40-groove G88 discs on my 155, with Tarox Strada pads. my GT has Tarox curved-groove F2000 discs and they look funky (but eat pads :lol: ).

i think someone with a 155 developed cracks in their G88 discs, so they probably aren't up to track-spec. but are fine for a 'fast street' car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very good guide from shiny-car. Do slightly disagree with the use of copper slip though. Use allyslip if possible. Copperslip is conductive so it's not recommended on brakes with abs as it can reak havoc fooling the electircs. Very unlikely to be an issue unless your as messy with it as a toddler,but if you need to buy all the bits then maybe better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts