Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the GTV 305mm Brembo calipers made of aluminium? And those of the 330mm GT/GTA?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes all of them ally body with stainless steel cylinders / pistons
So why is nobody polishing them!? :irked:

I want to do something different with the brakes on my GTV instead of the yellow/red/pink calipers. How awesome would this look?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
So why is nobody polishing them!? :irked:

I want to do something different with the brakes on my GTV instead of the yellow/red/pink calipers. How awesome would this look?
That does look great. :thumbup:

Just A LOT MORE work to make it look that great... The effort to get ALL the old red off will keep you busy and you probably need to clear anodize the calipers to KEEP it in a polished look.

But please do try this :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Agreed, that looks fantastic and I though of doing that too, but my teledials are already metallic silver. Also as Gertie says, the problem is not polishing them which can certainly be done with some effort but keeping them looking good. Bare metal (and ali in particular) is great, for a few minutes after you polish it and then it gets attacked by a combination of oxidation and in the case of brake calipers, that harsh braking environment - water, brake dust and heat - promise it will annoy you every time you look at them when they are dirty and need to be cleaned. A clear coat may help with the resistance to much and cleaning but I have not found a local high heat clear cost but there must be a clear coat powder coat solution? I do agree that you should give that a go

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will be surprised what a good paint remover can do. Even "Brake Parts Cleaner" will strip the red paint off your calipers. I've seen it happen to a Golf R's red painted floating calipers up front. seriously, a performance vehicle with floating calipers... :paranoid:

I'm planning a substantial brake upgrade but will provide specs once I have all the information that I require. It will entail new calipers and discs as well.

Are 330mm 159ti calipers the same as GT calipers?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
They look the same, use the same pad, and both have radial mount points (with axial adapters) - I am thinking they might be the same (the adapters are definitely different as mount points differ on uprights)

Interesting site I found that compare OEM, willwood, tarox and AP calipers:
brake weights

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I still believe my GQV brakes looked awesome, the new owner added new discs and grooved 'em, looks even more epic.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
You will be surprised what a good paint remover can do. Even "Brake Parts Cleaner" will strip the red paint off your calipers. I've seen it happen to a Golf R's red painted floating calipers up front. seriously, a performance vehicle with floating calipers... :paranoid:

I'm planning a substantial brake upgrade but will provide specs once I have all the information that I require. It will entail new calipers and discs as well.

They are not the same Ian. I had access to a very neat pair of red 159 calipers and they are slightly bigger (and more impressive looking) than the GT's but struggled to get adapters to work so kept looking for a pair from a GT. My 17" teledials were another problem which you may not have with 18's. TBH I think it is doable but will take some fine measurement to make up mock up brackets (and possibly some trial an error adjustment) before making final ones and it's very had finding engineering shops that will take this on for reasonable money hence me going GT OE - plug 'n play.

·
Registered
279 Posts
They are not the same Ian. I had access to a very neat pair of red 159 calipers and they are slightly bigger (and more impressive looking) than the GT's but struggled to get adapters to work so kept looking for a pair from a GT. My 17" teledials were another problem which you may not have with 18's. TBH I think it is doable but will take some fine measurement to make up mock up brackets (and possibly some trial an error adjustment) before making final ones and it's very had finding engineering shops that will take this on for reasonable money hence me going GT OE - plug 'n play.
If you could find these adapters (which are from a GT) it may be worth exploring the 159 caliper option further. Strangely AR SA does not sell them separately from the GT calipers (but you can get them in the UK). When I last checked these GT calipers and adapters from AR were R6500 each!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TBH I think it is doable but will take some fine measurement to make up mock up brackets (and possibly some trial an error adjustment) before making final ones and it's very had finding engineering shops that will take this on for reasonable money...
...luckily I can pull some special strings in our workshop at work if I need to... :smoker:

I am nit planning 159 calipers, I was just wondering if they were the same. I'll get GT units because they are cheaper and bolt-on.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
GT units bolt on to 305mm setup?

no so sure...
Arthur:

The 330mm disc from a GT is a direct fit replacement. Take a 305mm disc off and fit a 330mm disc.

The GT caliper fits directly onto the place where the 305mm caliper fits. It had an adapter that comes with the caliper. Remove the adapter with the caliper and it is a direct fit.

You can assure yourself now about this, because this has been done thousands of time already. You can even buy the complete kit composed out of calipers and discs from various parts houses in the UK: http://ebspares.co.uk/parts/EB3/EB324.cfm

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styl...or-330-mm-Brake-System::7348.html?language=en

All that is required is this aluminium adapter which comes free with the GT and 147 GTA calipers: http://shop.alfisti.net/images/product_images/popup_images/7348_0.jpg

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The confusion comes probably from not being able to mount GTA calipers to standard 285mm uprights. As Ian pointed out the 305mm and 330mm brembo have the same mount points to the upright

·
Registered
279 Posts
GT units bolt on to 305mm setup?

no so sure...
That's exactly what I did ArthurB, fitted GT calipers to my 156 GTA, the photos are in the "red caliper paint" thread. The pics in this thread contain the adapter required and part number. The GT caliper bolts radially with 2 big hex bolts to the adapter and the adapter is mounted axial lay in the same way that the 156 GTA's calipers mount. It is a straight swop with that accepts the bigger GT/147GTA 330mm discs. I can report that it is a worthy upgrade (in fact last model 156 GTA's in the UK got fitted with these as they should have been in the first place. It is difficult to find GT Brembo's and adapters 2nd hand in this market though.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yes, but are the uprights the same on a 156 and GTV? That was the crux of my question.
Im fully familiar with fitting 330mm setup on the 156.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
yes, but are the uprights the same on a 156 and GTV? That was the crux of my question.
Not the same uprights. GTV has McPherson strut and 156 has double wishbone. The brake caliper mount points relative to the hubs are the same, thus brake calipers are interchangeable.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The uprights have nothing to do with the brake installation, but the caliper mounting holes are identically placed and they are therefore completely interchangeable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts