Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my brakes on my 156 20v with 17" wheels. Can anyone help with a recommendation (or a link to an existing thread if this is already covered...)? I'm thinking the Brembo GT, but I'd like to hear what benefits (other than less alarming experiences on the motorway) people have received from the upgrade.

Many thanks in advance!

·
0 Posts
Brembo upgrade = pricey :eek:

A decent set of pads & a fluid change, can make a world of difference :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) Actually, given the car only cost £7k, and it's way nicer (only my opinion) to drive than a 159 at £15k....I'm happy to spend (ok, justify to myself) £700+labour on brakes.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
It has been covered many times and IMO it really depends how much you want to spend. If you can get the Brembo GT kit for a good price then I'd 100% recommend it, very easy to install with everything very good quality.

The braking is very precise and consistent, its not a huge step up from a good standard 156 setup but feels vastly better

YOU WILL NEED SPACERS FOR THE WHEELS TO CLEAR THE CALIPERS

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Is that only for 16" wheels or 17's too?

Is that a 5 or 10mm hubcentric spacer?
Depends on the exact wheel you have.
All OEM non-GTA (or GTV V6) rims will need spacers.
So the OEM 16" GTV V6 & GTA (yes there was a 16" GTA rim) don't need spacers either.
Same goes for the 17"

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's really good info to have, I didn't realise that. :thumbs: I just imagined fitting the brakes and driving off. I'd have been in whole lot of trouble fitting the brakes and then the wheels not clearing the brakes!!! :eek:

Mine are the multi spoke GTA 17's - not sure what they'll need.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
IF they are the 7.5"x17" GTA Multispoke rims, they will clear Brembos.
But, if they are 7"x17" Multispokes, they won't clear the Brembos.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the 7.5 rims, so I should be alright. :thumbs:

Probably best for me to check next time I have them off though. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
or post a photo of the wheels and we can tell you.

did GTAs have multispokes? i've only ever seen teledials as standard; must be a UK thing. ;)

:)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The multispokes were an option on the GTA but as the Teledials look so good there were not so popular. The original GTA multispoke didnt clear the upgrade 330mm calipers and so a slightly different multispoke wheel was provided by Alfa.

I think there are quite a few different multispoke wheels from Alfa

GTA 7.5x17" mk1
GTA 7.5x17" mk2 (clearance for the 330mm calipers)
7x17" ET 40.5 (156) at least 2 different designs
7x17" ET 35 (GT?)

Could be more? :lol:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you happen to know if there any part numbers printed on the inside of the wheels so you know which is which?!

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Do you happen to know if there any part numbers printed on the inside of the wheels so you know which is which?!
Also the size and offset are normally stamped there too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts