Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lo guyz

i'm planing to upgrade front brakes on my 2.0 TS Gtv. i was hoping to fit the brakes from the 3.0. did anyone of u tried that and how hard was it to do it, i know i need to make new hub carrier (upright) but i donno if thats the only thing i need to do.

btw i'm from croatia so maybe few words are misspeled or translated wrong into english, srry :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
46,127 Posts
Do you have access to the hub carriers from the 3.0? That would be the easiest option..

This conversion is very similar to putting GTA brakes on a standard 156 - difficult.

Might be easier to buy a big brake kit that bolts onto the standard upright?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
The TS cars brake quite well anyway with the standard 284mm discs. You could uprate the discs/pads to enhance performance, this is a much easier option than the V6 kit (there's plenty on here saying it's a difficult job to do). Then there's all that weight. Why carry heavy calipers/305mm discs when you don't have to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tnx for replying guyz

yes, i'll prolly get the whole 3.0 kit, discs, calipers and the hub carriers, dono for sure yet, my friend is going to italy at the end of the next week, so i'll know then:rolleyes: . untill then i'll prolly eat my nails off :cheese:

the thing i'm worried about is will the hub carriers from the 3.0 fit the 2.0. i got the information that it would here in croatia but somehow i'm not 100% sure:confused:

why am i doing this?? i'm not so much concered about the weight gain, i just belive u cant have too much brake power:)

i'm trying to get the best cost-gain ratio (our paychecks sucks big time in croatia) so thats the reason why i'm going for the 3.0 brakes. italy is just round the corner and hopefully i'll score some unlucky crashed v6 there:lol:

·
Registered
30,170 Posts
the thing I'm worried about is will the hub carriers from the 3.0 fit the 2.0. i got the information that it would here in Croatia but somehow I'm not 100% sure :confused:
Yes they will fit.
But, you need to transfer your original hubs over to them, which will mean new wheel bearings too.

You may also need new ABS sensors for the front if the set in the 3.0 carriers are damaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it possible to have bearings that will fit to 3.0 hubcarrier and 2.0 T.S. hub? That means bearing should be inner diameter 37mm outer diameter 80mm and width of the bearing should be 37mm.

·
Registered
30,170 Posts
Is it possible to have bearings that will fit to 3.0 hubcarrier and 2.0 T.S. hub? That means bearing should be inner diameter 37mm outer diameter 80mm and width of the bearing should be 37mm.
That is a good point and I hadn't actually checked for a GTV.
For a 156/147/GT, they all use the same bearing, even the GTA, so it isn't an issue. The GTV however has several different bearings listed and the V6 are different to the TS ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes that's true. TS has 37x72x37 and V6 has 42x80x37 bearings, but if someone had bearing with TS inner diameter and V6 outer diameter, then it would be easy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

I had wanted to do a similar conversion, but it seems the way to go is to get radial mount calipers and an adapter bracket made up. Then you can use the standard 3.0 305mm x 28mm discs or 315mm x 28mm with an aluminium bell. You save a bit of weight that way.

I ended up with calipers from a 166 3.0 by accident and am toying with the idea of getting a bracket made up.

Please keep us posted about what you end up doing.

Thanks

Berni

·
Vendor
46,127 Posts
166 3.0 calipers are not radial mount though are they?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
166 3.0 calipers are not radial mount though are they?
Nope, but I guess they could be made to fit with a suitable bracket if using larger diameter discs than 305mm.

With 2 piece discs you could go for pretty much any diameter as long as they fitted with in the wheel. Also since the calipers have the external balance pipe then I assume you can split the caliper and fit a spacer to allow larger thickness of discs, say 32mm instead of the original 28mm?

Not cheap or straight forward but could be interesting :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts