Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put some grooved discs, EBC greenstuff pads and braided hoses on my 147... Expected the whirring, droning noise on braking, but I'm getting a horrible droning / resonance noise on cornering that goes away with light application of brakes! It also does it pulling away first thing in the morning, going straight.

First thought was calipers binding slightly, so took apart last night, fliled, regreased everything...still doing the same. Weird that it happens mostly on cornering, or cornering sets it off. 99% sure it's not wheel bearings as the noise frequency doesn't change with speed. You can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and sometimes a little wheel braking effect when it kicks in. The noise occurs less at higher road speeds.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved. My bad.

My ex mechanic neighbour spotted the mistake in 2secs.... I had put the spring retainer things on wrong...pushing the floating part of the calipers the wrong way, so the weren't under Tension in the right direction. Amazing that the design lets you do it this way so easily. And it looked right (to an amateur at least!)

Anyway

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Solved. My bad.

My ex mechanic neighbour spotted the mistake in 2secs.... I had put the spring retainer things on wrong...pushing the floating part of the calipers the wrong way, so the weren't under Tension in the right direction. Amazing that the design lets you do it this way so easily. And it looked right (to an amateur at least!)

Anyway
A cheap fix and a learning experience! We have all been there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts