Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! had my GTV a few weeks now, it had new discs and pads all round the front ones were replaced when it was found that one of them was warped! All the work was done under warranty by indie-dealer:) Now a week later the front passenger side squeels when warm whilst braking especially at slower speeds(but not when hard braking).
Checked and took the pads out cleaned and re-copper greased them this am at freindly garage and we couldnt see anything obviously wrong with the unit, ok at first then noise returned the warmer they get the more they squeel:cry:
Now thinking of changing the pads? Any thoughts or help please, as this is becoming very embarassing especially when I pulled up behind some chavs bmw convertible at my local Tesco:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My rear brakes started doing this, when hot, low speed, squeeling like mad. nip the hand brake up a notch and it stopped, etc. What I did was take the pads out, used a square file to tidy up the bit of the caliper that the pad sits on, then copper greased this and the back of the pads. I think when they were hot the pads where getting stuck onto the caliper and not moving away.

·
Registered
578 Posts
had this squeek and also a terrible noise like the pads are burning or evoporating after fitted original pads... service said they may fail after consecutively hard braking!! this was the first time i was using original pads (i always used ate before) and changed them to ate again - problem solved!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
On the Brembo calipers there are small metal blocks on the inside of the caliper which the pads slide on. Corrosion can start under these and make the pads a tight fit, its possible that as the pads get hotter the clearance between the pad and this metal block becomes very tight and makes the noise.

I believe its quite common to file a small amount of metal off the side of the pad so they fit easier.

On my Brembos I've fitted 3M backing pads to the back of the brake pads which significantly reduced the noise but this is for resonance and not poor fit

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the comments!
We cleaned and checked the fitment of the pads, they were a good fit just slid in +out very easily. This is what was puzzling us not a bugger to get in like when they are corroded:rolleyes: The caliper was free and working well so I was thinking maybe its the pad material, only on one side though:confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Do you know what make of pads are in there?

You could obviously try sanding the surface of the pads in case there is any glazing or other build up but sounds like you might have already tried that

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
could be the pistons are sticking a bit in the caliper or worse case that the caliper is misaligned to the disc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts