Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace my brake disks and pads. I ve been wearing drilled Zimmermann disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads (both front and rear) since... 2006 :whistle:

I will be going for a cheaper option this time. I am thinking of TRW, Brembo or maybe Textar for both disks and pads. Any opinions which one has better "bite"? I m not going to ask which one has a higher coefficient of friction am I...

I am also having trouble to choose the correct product number (especially on disks), entering my VIN in https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com I get two product codes for disks, 71739567 and 71772267 which the latter one mentioned as "classic line". Whats the difference anyway.. ePer returns 60658565 for disk code and I can't get a clear result about pads. My car is 147 1.6TS 120cv year 2001. lDo I have to pay attention to something specific on these codes or I should be just fine by selecting the correct car/model/engine on Autodoc and this is enough to order the correct parts?

One more thing, some disks are mentioned as "coated". What is this coating about?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There was a nice explanation about 147 rear brakes probably in September. I think you have 250mm rear disks but the later 156 type brake pads which have tabs or lugs at each side. Early pads had a spring bracket at the top of the pad, dead centre.

Pad choice? I didn't rate Brembo R90 pads highly for initial bite. I've not tried Textar pads in an Alfa but T&N friction products seem to be squeal prone these days. My choice would be an undaring one. TRW. They are consistently good even if people don't rave about them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I replaced front disks and pads about 2 months ago. I opted for Brembo,most expensive from EuroCarParts. I have always chosen the cheapest parts on other cars,so i decided for this i would try the opposite.
What can i say,as opposed to the ones that were on before,i noticed after the car sits for 2-3 days they don't accumulate so much rust.
Other than that,for the level of performance i need from the car,i cannot detect any difference. i drive moderately slow,and don't slam the brakes,so who knows-perhaps someone else could make a difference.
Price wise,on mine i had to go for the most expensive option,as the cheap one would not fit.
Other questions-just ask

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing some googling on disk coating i found out that it offers rust protection ( = better cooling, rust acts as insulation). Coating is better compared to simple painting and far better than no rust protection at all. This limits my selection to Brembo and Textar disks only (they offer coated versions), TRW only offers painted ones. Perhaps I should choose a brand for the pads not necessarily the same with disks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did not know anything about coating,and even less about painting.
Where is the coating/paint applied,to the actual surface of the disk?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have Brembo disks all around with TRW pads, the breaks are great, I have great feedback from the pedal and even if I need to brake harshly it doesn't cause me any real issues and the car stops on a dime.

What I will say for the pads though is even after a clean, 3 days later the wheels are covered in "soot" from the braking and need cleaned again, and I drive like a pensioner.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know anything about coating,and even less about painting.
Where is the coating/paint applied,to the actual surface of the disk?
Me neither. I got some info from the links below

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would suggest ATE discs with ATE pads, works great. These small stock brakes that Brembo offers are nothing special. Also, drilled rotors are a stupid myth, especially for racing, slotted rotors are okay-ish but they are loud and eat up the pads. Stock is the best option for street use.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fully agree to the drilled rotor,had them on a previous car and and i only realized how crap they were after going back to stock.
If you need racing pads,might as well go for them,not for altered the rotors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts