Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason why I shouldn't?

I can't have my car off the road for any more than just the weekend and a Monday morning. As I'm going to be replacing the discs, pads, lines and fittings, plus repainting the calipers, I doubt I'll get more than one corner done each weekend.

I'm also planning to flush the fluid, by running a couple of extra cans through the system and bleeding it out of each caliper till it runs clear, so that could be done at the beginning or the end depending on the advice I'm given.

The only thing I can think of is possibly confusing the ABS system under hard braking, but given that my normal journey is a 4 mile round trip to the post office and back there's very little chance of that. Unfortunately I need to use the car, despite the short trip, due to the bulk of items I take and the time it would be to walk/cycle it and still be able to meet my same day postage commitments.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You can't drive with unbalanced brakes. So consider breaking up your work to complete things in pairs.
I'd take it off the road for all the work.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It would be easily doable in a weekend, with both sides up on axel stands its an hour or so to get the calipers all off giving you plenty of time to paint them and let them dry ready to be refitted the next morning along with the new pads and discs.
remember to get some caps to fit over the flexi ends so the fluid doesnt all drain out as it can be a pain to bleed once the system has emptied, bleed nipple covers will usually fit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It would be easily doable in a weekend, with both sides up on axel stands its an hour or so to get the calipers all off giving you plenty of time to paint them and let them dry ready to be refitted the next morning along with the new pads and discs.
remember to get some caps to fit over the flexi ends so the fluid doesnt all drain out as it can be a pain to bleed once the system has emptied, bleed nipple covers will usually fit.
I did the rears, one weekend, fronts the next. That way the car stays in balance. I then went back, bled and painted them. It all boils down to how much time you have to spare. Sorting discs and linings is a quick job (as is bleeding) but prep and painting the callipers will slow you down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts