Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After approximately 4000miles since i changed for 2nd time the front brakes they are warped again.
What a waste of money.
Now i'm pursuing it through Alfa romeo and i hope i can get the brake upgrade.
The new Local dealer called Alexanders in Teasdale is handling the case.
I will keep you all updated on how it goes.
Good weekend to everybody.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Brake problems again(Pathetic ARUK)

I thought i would give you all an update on this.

After numerous calls with the useless ARUK customer services i am about to give up.
I was told that before they can commit to anything the car needs to be inspected by the local dealer in order to diagnose the problem.
His words were, we need to understand what the problem is and if it is something that was there since manufacture we could then look into it.
I then asked, how are you going to find the routcause of the problem? The gentleman said that they will inspect things like break wear, runaout, test drives etc. I replied that this is not going to find the route cause but will determine the existence of the fault. The customer service man didnt seem to understand what i was saying, but anyway.
I then asked, who is going to pay the inspection costs? He said that i have to pay.
I then asked, if there is a fault present are you going to absorb the cost of the upgrade?
He said we cannot commit to anything at this moment.
My reply was that i'm not going to make my car a guinea pig, pay for it and get no commitment from ALFA ROMEO.

The service manager at Alexandersm, didnt fill me with confidence either.

The only positive thing is that last week, a very friendly Italian Lady from the headquarters in Italy phoned me to ask me about what i think of ARUK and the customer service.
We had a lengthy chat that lasted almost 1hr and 10 minutes. We talked about the car and the aftersales support and gave her a good review on how ARUK treats the customers.
Lets see what comes out of this conversation.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
If you treat your customers like **** then they tend not to buy your cars, I think that Alfa's main problem in the UK is it's public face.

:(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is this with the 305's? Personally I'm 99.9% confident that the problem with these brakes was a pad/disc material mis-match and NOT warping. Warping brakes is incredibly rare. Usually vibration is from a build-up of pad material on the disc. The 305's are sufficiently big for a car the GTA's weight for all but extreme use, they are 4-pot Brembo's not the single-piston brakes even cars like M3's use. I reckon if you changed the discs or had them skimmed (sounds like they are newish) and used aftermarket pads like DS2500's, and caned then from new to bed in the new pads properly, you'd be fine. Sounds like this is the best bet if ARUK have washed their hands of you.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jwyatt.
I agree with everything you said in this. I already run new alfa discs and DS2500. I'm over the moon with the braking performance but the vibration came back.
Out of curiosity few days ago i measured runout and it was within 0.1mm. I cleaned the discs with sandpaper while at it and did about 30miles. The vibration disappeared but then came back.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Strange, isn't it? People like Brembo say runout should be measured/adjusted when discs are changed but I don't think anyone does it. Could the 305mm brake issues be due to the calliper or disc mounting or some other related item making the alignment wrong?

My 156 2.5 (non-Brembo) had it's first pad/disc change at the 36k service and (not knowing the correct form then) I took it easy on them to bed them in. A vibration occurred almost straight away, only slight and only noticeable above 60. After some toing and froing with the garage (was in warranty) they changed then again for free and that time I gave them hell and they were fine. Could have been a runout problem, who knows... But it seems to happen a bit!

The GTA only needed the pads doing at 48k and discs still look good (330's) - amazing with me driving! The 330's seem a case of over-engineering, but in brakes that's fine by me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts