Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All , will be removing the rear sub frame tomorrow on my car and I have damaged one of the unions where it joins the flexi under the arch, would probably have replaced them anyway but now the decision has been made for me, so does anyone know if they can be bought already preformed with the various bends in them and connections, as I am sure it would be a neater job than I could do ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
from what I've seen most folks make up the brake pipes themselves using flaring and bending tools. Am not aware that you can still buy the pipes, haven't seen any come up for sale. If you can still get them they won't be cheap or as economical as getting these made yourself from copies of the originals. If you really want originals check out the salvage cars and obtain them from there. good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Baz, thanks for the reply and agree with what you have said. I think I have found a company who said they can provide the pipes fully straightened to the correct length with the unions and all I would have to do it bend it as required, Luckily they are not too far from me so when I get a bit closer to the stage of the brake pipes I will pay them a visit. Will also invest in a proper bending tool to ensure the bends are nicely done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I make my replacement brake pipes as I need to and use copper nickel kunifer brake pipe

·
Registered
426 Posts
I made my first attempt at replacement brake pipes a few weeks ago, and found it fairly easy. Get a good flaring tool, a small pipe bender and a rotary pipe cutter and use Kunifer piping. It works out quite inexpensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rod, sub frame is looking good, hope mine will look similar soon. I will see how much Automec will charge for straight ones made to the required length with myself to do the bending against buying the tools to do it myself, and way it up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't buy the cheap tools. It's possible to get a good seal with them but it takes practise. There are idiot proof tools out there, if you want to take it on yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts