Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake pedal judders slightly but annoyingly since the car was recalled to replace the pin in the clutch; the garage have had the car in twice and the most recent time they diagnosed the master servo- so they replaced that; a 3 day job involving removal of the dashboard- under warranty thankfully, but it is still there! Anyone else had this? It is noticeable on gentle braking especially on the first 1/4 of the travel of the pedal. It feels like metal dragging on rubber, but I assume the garage, who are usually very good, have tried lubricating the mechanism.
I have done a search and apart from the master cylinder the suggestions seem to be the alignment of a pin or possibly the switch for the brake light- any ideas, please?
:confused:

M

·
0 Posts
not heard of this before...my advice would be to take back to the garage to let them sort out

:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
While your alfa was in the garage, did they check your brake discs for warpage? There is not too much chance of a brakelight switch misalignment at all, and a corroded pivot pin could cause the linkage to increase pedal pressure needed, but not judder. You might have one or more substandard brake discs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments- it might be the disk / pads but i am convinced that it is the linkage to the pedal as the actual braking is fine. The garage first tried high pressure brake bleading as they thought there might be some air in the system, but that did not work.
I think that when they did the clutch pin recall they may have knocked or twisted something slightly.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I had the same problem with my 147, still do a little bit, mine also had the master servo replaced, do you get a strange sort of noise like air escaping from a ballon? sort of ssshhhh whenever you press the peddle?

O

·
0 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had on the clutch pedal (156 GTA). That gradually went from being a dragging sensation to a definite jerking when depressing the pedal. Turned out to be the master cylinder - replaced under warranty - no problems since.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
On air diagnostics? Difficult to say the least! However, my leanings are toward Yankalfistis thoughts on the subject. 1. Brake disc runout.
Best checked with a DTI for absolute accuracy. 2. Hissing noise indicates servo diaphragm/valve problem. Feel sure somebody has additional ideas out there. Look forward to hearing the final remedy for this thought provoking problem.Z.F

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did you get to cure this? I have had brake pedal juddering 9 months since an ABS 'recall' upgrade applied, not believed to be the cause. Replace servo was thought but dealer is going for master cylinder, which Oggy had done I see. So does sounds a possibility, I await the garage trying under warantee, seem to be known on a number of 147s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts