Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, havnt had to post anything for a while, BUT.
Having bought a 2.0 GTV ts coupe (97) for a bit of fun (ha ha ere we go) i have encountered
a bit of a juddery / grinding feel in the brake pedal at times but not every time, i have
looked through our posts and not found anything like this problem hence here i am, it does
however tend to be there at braking on turning the steering wheel, i have checked all
fluid levels and such but a little miffed as it has just passed an m.o.t in the last month
or so. thanks in advance for any ideas.
ciao for now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd be looking for a cracked or damaged ABS ring on a CV joint- this can activate the ABS giving you pedal judder and a noise from the ABS pump, which can sound a little like grinding.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
so not a person on here got any idea then, surely not. come on guys.
Well, seven hours ago was 2am, I was asleep... :lol:
If the ABS activation only occurs at higher speeds, check the tyres are all the same size.

Is the ABS light ever coming on?

Finally, what do the discs look like? Grooves can sometimes create 'winding down' noises that might be considered 'grinding'.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Firstly are the pads/discs new, the reason I ask is if they are and there has been heavy braking on new brakes you can cause "hot spots" on your discs. Basically new pads need to be bedded in gently otherwise instead of leaving an even spread of pad on the discs you get very slight clumps which will cause quite bad juddering. People always blame warped discs but usually its high spots of brake pad on the discs causing the problem.
Usually a couple of months of wear will sort the problem out.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What speeds does this happen at?

My ABS kicks in when I turn into my driveway and it's wet - gives a juddering through the pedal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for you replys, it seems to be at any speed but not all the time
as it can be on slow cornering or at speed and yes the abs light tends to flicker
then goes off for a while and then flickers on and off again but this happens
wether braking or on acceleration, fluid level is fine. ??

·
Registered
347 Posts
When the ABS kicks in this can feel like grinding through the brake pedel. Are you braking hard when this happens or is the road surface a little loose (gravel) Next time it happens see if the ABS light is flashing. Might give you something to go on...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alex il give that some thought, but no ive not been braking hard its sometimes
when coming to a junction and slowing gently to a halt and still happens just as when
turning slowly too, i have yet to try it at speed. (might be interesting)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Have you pulled the wheels off yet to have a look at the discs and calipers.. just because it passed a MOT a month ago does not guarantee the brakes for one year.. how much meat is there left on the pads?? What are the discs like.. is there any crap jammed in between the pad and disc..??? can you hear a noise or just feel it or both??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive only looked at the disks through the wheels at mo, and they seem good, i havnt pulled the wheels of yet will have a good screw there on weekend and see what the pads are like. it is weard but i do feel it through the pedal and i assume that i here it too....

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Does it happen mainly first thing in the morning, or when the car has been standing for a day or two? If so, it could be the brakes grabbing due to rusty discs & triggering the ABS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no like i said the discs seem fine but i cant actually see the pads through these wheels as you know, and its not only in the morning and it does not do this at high speed braking either, (i tried this one out this morning) which leads me back to what tiff above sugested in his reply, but i will be back when i do get around to having a ganda.......cheers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You need to take off the wheel and look behind the upright assembly on the hub - the notched ABS ring needs to be clean and clear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i know this is blonde question,bt im
only asking as the gtv did not come
with a manual,so what are the
indicators on the dials by the speedo,i
know its abs,handbrake,seatbelt,but
whats the other one?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts