Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The indicator for worn brake pads (O) has started to come up more and more often. Looks like somethings working !!! My question is how many miles i have left. And are there sensors on both front and rear brakes?

Cheers

G

·
On my car ('94) there are only sensors on the front. How many miles you can do depends on how much and how hard you use the brakes and on the pads themselves (not all makes have the wear sensor at the same 'level').

You should be OK for a couple of hundred miles or so.

As the pads get thinner brake performance reduces and certainly fade will get worse under hard braking as there is less volume of pad to absorb the heat. More heat will also transfer to the caliper (less friction material to insulate) and then to the fluid, meaning that, if the fluid is old and has absorbed water, it may boil more easily. :(

This is a worst case scenario, of course....

Ian

G

·
You should definitely have a look at the pads as soon as possible. Only one of each pair of pads on the front has a sensor(the piston side I think) so it is possible to wear a front pad out without activating the warning light, if something is sticking.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If the indicator is coming on, once it starts its should be on at every application of the brakes. If your indicator light is intermittant, check that it is not a low brake fluid level indicator you are looking at!

G

·
Chris:
If the indicator is coming on, once it starts its should be on at every application of the brakes. If your indicator light is intermittant, check that it is not a low brake fluid level indicator you are looking at!
........which usually means the pads are wearing thin.........just like mine at the moment!

wrinx

G

·
I just had new pads today! same problem with intermitant warning lights one for low fluid level(kept winking on and of around bends and over hump-back bridges) and the brake pad sensor light (kept comming and going).
There was a bit of life left in the old ones but not a great deal. Also checked rears at same time but they were fine(No wear indicator on rear!).
When changing make sure you know which calipers you have, I found out that mine are sport pack calipers not standard ones this only showed as an option on the CD not a fitted item.
Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.