Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake Pads - Ferodo DS2500 vs Mintex M1144

How do they compare against each other?

I've heard that the Ferodo DS2500 has less brake dust and better stopping power than stock pads, but they squeal a lot.

The Mintex M1144 produces more brake dust (more than stock???) but offers better braking than the Ferodo. Do these squeal as much?

It'd be nice to have someone who's tried both to comment on this.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I had Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted to the front of my 156 today. :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Roswell said:
I had Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted to the front of my 156 today. :D
Let us know how you get on with them once bedded in Ros, mine are due soon and i need something that can cope with more heat than what i have now.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Did you discover this on then descent from The Harside Cafe like I did?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Roswell said:
I had no problems on standard brakes and beat the lot of you - you just need a proper sports car :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Your standard brakes are are made by Brembo. Your 'proper car' has a 220 Bhp V6. You're a spawny get! :p

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Roswell said:
I most certainly did, as Simon can verify they were smoking heavily by the time we stopped at the Shepherd's Inn. I was seriously giving it some down that hill and its only testament to the 147's cornering ability that i didn't end up in a hedge, my brakes were nowhere!!

Just contemplating which discs to buy at the minute too, nearly bought some Black Diamonds a while back and tempted that way again. Quite keen on a combination of their grooved+vented discs with Tarox Rally pads.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
gil_147 said:
I most certainly did, as Simon can verify they were smoking heavily by the time we stopped at the Shepherd's Inn. I was seriously giving it some down that hill and its only testament to the 147's cornering ability that i didn't end up in a hedge, my brakes were nowhere!!

Just contemplating which discs to buy at the minute too, nearly bought some Black Diamonds a while back and tempted that way again. Quite keen on a combination of their grooved+vented discs with Tarox Rally pads.
go for it...:D

but instead of tarox pads, why not go for the ds2500 ferodos

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Go for Ferodo DS2500 pads with what ever discs you fancy, even OEM ones. You won't be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Hmmmm, that's strange, MSW don't list the DS2500 pads for the 2.0 147. :confused:

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
:rolleyes:
Roswell said:
Hmmmm, that's strange, MSW don't list the DS2500 pads for the 2.0 147. :confused:
i think the 156 pads will fit the 147....but dont quote me on that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
mr.orange said:
:rolleyes:

i think the 156 pads will fit the 147....but dont quote me on that:rolleyes:
Don't see why not, a quick phonecall will verify this.

actually, they should be exactly the same as the 147jtd which are the same part no. as the 156 2.0 ones. pricey tho!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
mr.orange said:
bit late to be phoning people now aint it gil....:p :rolleyes: :D
Depends on who it is really!:rolleyes:
But a bit late to call for technical assistance, yes. Just did a bit detective work on MSW site.

S

·
0 Posts
I've black diamond drilled and DS2500 pads, they are fab. First brake when cold is a bit worrying but then lovely. I was forced to slow from erm, a bit fast to a near standstill on a motorway a few months back and then bit hard and dragged speed off brilliantly. They then behaved perfectly in stop start stuff. Good around town too. The initial squeal has gone and the pad backs are red which show through 156 front calipers and look cool but not OTT.

Discs are wearing quickly though. Can already feel a ridge at the disc edge.Not too chuffed about that!

Andy

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Andy, Your post says you have DS2500 pads but your signature says you have DS Performance pads.

Which is correct? My DS2500s aren't red. :confused:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Are those Green Stuff pads any good?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Roswell said:
Your standard brakes are are made by Brembo. Your 'proper car' has a 220 Bhp V6. You're a spawny get! :p
Just bought a house with a pond full of frog spawn. How did you know? :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Roswell said:
Go for Ferodo DS2500 pads with what ever discs you fancy, even OEM ones. You won't be disappointed. :D
Hmm, that sounds interesting as a (relatively) cheap way of uprating my brakes. Had fluid replaced at last service, but they really are woeful; worse than my old 155, for some reason. Not too bothered if they wear away the OE discs as I can replace those at a later date.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts