Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Ok Brakes have developed that sinking feeling so its the master cylinder time.

Having ordered a new one which came no probs £76.00 :)

3 hrs to get the old one off, if you guys have Mans hands and not womens hands like me , dont even go there. Anyway primed up the new one with fluid fitted it came to put the Banjo unions into place Guess what they dont fit, original banjo bolts are smaller than the holes on the new unit.:cry:

I now discover there are two sizes of unit indicated by the bore 22.2mm and 20mm. Guess what you cant tell which is which without stripping off the unit and mic'ing the cylinder bore.:mad:

Ok so if the one i ordered is the 22.2mm then surely that would require larger Banjos (area Preasure flow and all that) ok get the other one. :p

That turns up guess what Banjos are the same as the first one ???

Alfa dealer, they cant identify the unit either but if you want one they are £200.00 cant guartee its the right one oh and by the way weve tracked your car down as an import from Dortmund :rant:

Ok change the banjos then if the cars an import must have a differnt size, Banjo dealer hasent got any but can order them have to buy 50 though:(

Scrap yard! 2.4 JTD and twinspark take them off easy no engines in woopee however they look the same size same spanner. Back home Guess what there the same as the ones on the car.

Why?:cry:

Does this mean all the Master cylinders now have a different outlet size anyone had this issue.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
good info in this thread, wouldn't have know about different banjo sizes required

i 'discovered' today that if you remove the sump of a TS engine it frees up an ocean of room which could be used to gain access to power steering rack connections if required.

might even be a god way to get to those pesky ARB bushes :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note to Self

Being an Engineer and haveing taken cars apart for 25years, Check everything before you put a new one on!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually i need some of those bushes its one of the next jobs up,

Just finished all the suspension and driveshafts.

Sounds like another exciting Alfa Job

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if you need bushes & replacement anti-sway collars I'm your man.:thumbs:

see the link in my siggy for details :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Old thread i know :rolleyes:

But can u tell me where u have sourced the Brake Master cylinder from.. I am in need of 1 for my wifes car.. It keeps seizing and locking NSR & OFS wheels on.. Has done it twice now.I can get it to release by cracking the NSR bleed nipple open to release the pressure.. But thats not solving the prob..

TIA

Wodj

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like the Galant ive got one of those on the drive cant aford to run it anymore.:cry:

As an update i had some adapters made to suit the new cylinder and found that the piston travel in the repro one is 7mm out so it puts the front brakes on and imobilises the car.

I actually mic'd the bore bought another master off i cant remember what and used the seals in the Alfa unit. I dont recomend anyone try this :tut:unless you are a completely competent engineer type.:thumbs:

As to soucing a unit the one off ours is a BOSCH unit and i have yet to find a replacement anybody finds a one its a gold dust item. or hens teeth depending on your point of view.

I would try to pick a scraper up but TBH 2.4 JTD's are like hens teeth i have heard that the cylinder on the V6 is the same unit, didnt go there. dont see many of them either.

hope this helps:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An additional comment would be that LPR 1819 cylinder does not work due to the travell lenght and a sub note would be that if even contemplating using LPR parts make sure they do what they say on the tin i did a peugot one recently and had to drill a flamin hole through the master cylinder between the resevoir inlets to get the resevoir retaining pin in so it didnt fall off, how do these companys get away with selling this crap, bring back the UK manufacturing industry.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the reply. The Galant ? Is a Legnum :) I don't have the Silver 1 anymore, now have a Meister Blue 1.. Which model is yours ?
Well all of the above sounds abit beyond me :-/ So i don't think i'll be going down that road.. Think it
will be looking out for a scrapper..

To tell you the truth i'm not definitely sure that it's the master cylinder thats at fault on the wifes car?
But it's where my conclusions have landed me..
The issue is that the OSF & NSR brakes have seized on twice now. Easily released by cracking open the bleed nipple on the NSR to relive the pressure. My thoughts were that the master cylinder was sticking and needed replacing..
Unless anyone else has any other thoughts ?

Regards

Wodj

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats in a Name

Hi its a VR4 they are all galants:cheese: just made of more expensive case hardend cheese (oops metal) LOL ggod to drive though, Eurocarparts are now doing repro parts i have an extensive list of parts sourced for less than our freinds at Mitsubishi would charge if you would like it:cool:

Got a couple og BGT;s and my Fav is my 1978 260Z 2+2 :)

If the Master was sticking it would effect all the brakes as they are dual circuit ie 2 front and 2 back off a split cylinder, sounds like they are not returning,

A few easy things before you go the long road,

Have you checked the pads to see if they are running off this will indicate if the calipers are not pressing evenly, or twisting

check the bushings on the realease studs, the Alan key ones you loosen to change the pads,to see if the calipers are twisting, by getting a good hold and wiggling them if there is significant movement on the calipers they will twist under load overheat and stick. (major front brake issue on the Galants/ Legnums as well) too much weight on these power units 2.4 deisil hanging out the front:mad:

have you given them a really good bleed? ie 1 litre through each corner DOT 4 nice and slow, our 156 suffers terribly with Hydroscopic problems in the fluid i do them twice a year.

Give the calipers a good clean and behind the dust seals (the rubber bit) and a thin coat of copper grease reseal

Like hens teeth in the scrap yard although if you wait till around Octoer there is an influx of V6 cars with front corner damage where the change in the weather catches the heavy footed out LOL you may be lucky.:thumbs:

·
Registered
82 Posts
So are you a member of CVR4?
Gay Lant :tut: Nah mines a Numleg :thumbs: It's got a big *** and i like Big Asses :p
Re pasrts list.. Any info is good.. Though i have scoured that site many times with a fine tooth comb, but Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories :: have a more extensive list at very good prices. Some parts though aren't upto the job(life threatening) and only OE parts for some job's are worth the purchase. Also thru the club there are plenty of spare parts floating around from breakers. i have broke a few cars myself and still have a few bitz left kicking around as well as half a Leggy ..

Back to the Alfafa :)
Gonna strip down all the calipers tomorrow and check everything through as advised by a PM from another member earlier today.. I wasn't sure how the braking system would be affected by the master cylinder if it was sticking, but thought it may cause the fault that i have on the wifes car. Now i know different :thumbs:

Got some Dot 4 ready for the job, so ready and raring to go for tomorrow. As long as i don't fall asleep tomorrow morning when i get home from my 12hr nightshift :rolleyes:

Cheers

Wodj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts