Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think that's what it's called......the valve thing which works using a spring attached to the rear anti-roll bar. I know it compensates for load distribution etc. between front and rear when braking, but what happens ???

If my boot is full, should the rear braking be stronger or weaker than normal ???

I ask 'cos my spring is broken and so I've got the lever held up using cable ties at the moment. Normally my brakes work OK (ish), but on my way to a boot sale this morning (car totally loaded down), had a scary moment coming off the motorway at 80mph trying to slow for a sharp right hander as the brakes just didn't slow the car enough, like they had overheated.....my wife screamed !!!!

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 'doofer prevents rear wheel lock up when the car is lightly loaded (this can be very dangeour and cause the car to 'swap ends'. The pitching motion of the car restricts the rear hydraulic pressure. With a high load in the back there will be less pitching and therefore more rear breaking effort without lock up.

The device not working is an MOT failure.

I would be very surprised if the effects were as marked as you experienced though. The vast majority of braking effort is done by the front any way.(hence the size of the discs)

The first thing I'd do is replace your brake fluid, its probably boiling due to absorbed water!!

Good luck

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I thought as much. The car is going in the next couple of weeks to get braided hoses fitted and I was gonna get the fluid changed then aswell. I bled the brakes on Friday evening and the fluid was dark brown and murky instead of slightly coloured and clear.

Marlon

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Marlon !

Only for my curiosity, when was the last time that you had changed your brake fluid and what make is it ?

Cheers
Jorge

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know when it was last done as I've only owned the car 18 months. It should be done every 2 years though. I topped up yesterday with Castrol dot 4 stuff (forgot to top up after bleeding the brakes the other day eek! :eek: ).
The new fluid must have diluted the old stuff as the brakes are great just now. Can't wait to get it all done properly :) .

Marlon

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Marlon

I use the same Castrol Dot 4 and it is very good.
I use just this or ATE.

Probably all is going good when you can bleed it properly,

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts