Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake lights aren’t working and I’ve just changed the master cylinder...

Checked the fuse and bulbs and am pretty convinced it’s the switch - but can I find the thing?!

It’s a RHD 1750 GTV with standing pedals, I can’t see a switch under the car and can’t feel one through the carpet... the carpet is glued down so I don’t want to start ripping it up on the off chance it isn’t there.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its on the bulkhead under the servo.... could be more bleeding / fluid pressure is needed to get it working.
Thanks very much, presumably it’s actuated by an arm? Am I right in assuming it’s a microswitch and not hydraulically operated?

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks very much, presumably it’s actuated by an arm? Am I right in assuming it’s a microswitch and not hydraulically operated?

Cheers

Alex
No its actuated by hydraulic pressure. Pull the wires off the switch and join them together. The lights should come on, if they do the switch is faulty
This assumes the system has been correctly bled after the master cylinder replacement.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it and checked it - am getting brake lights by shorting the wires.

The new master cylinder is leaking so needs to go back, so for £8.50 might swap the switch when I change the mc again so I don’t have to find it doesn’t work and break the system open for the 100th time!

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it’s a dual circuit they sometimes have a hydraulic switch on the rear too, fixed to the proportioning valve.
It is dual circuit, so thanks for the tip. I’d not seen that on the wiring diagram so will check.

I’m assuming there is no other reason for an electrical connection to go anywhere near that valve?

Maybe one was already dead and now the second has packed up..?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts