Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had this issue since I bought my series 1 33 about two years ago, finally getting around to fixing it. Sometimes when I turn the car on, the warning lights for the brake fluid level, petrol warning light, and water temperature warning lights come on immediately and stay on till I turn the car off, no matter what the various fluid levels/temperature actually is. It's only sometimes - often when I turn the car on the warning lights work exactly as they should. I haven't been able to work out any pattern as to when the lights decide to stay on and when they work properly. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi,

There might be a problem with the light check circuit in the instrument cluster.
This circuit contains a primitive timer, which could fail.
The timer is enables a bypass for the warning lights towards the ground.
Until the 'end trigger' condition of the timer is not met, the lights will stay on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Can this timer be repaired, can it be bypassed, or does it have to be replaced?

Is there anything like this on the circuit for the electric windows and ventilation fan? Recently I've experienced a similar problem - sometimes when I turn the car on, my windows and fan will not work (there might be other things that stop working to but these are what I've noticed). They are paired in that they either both work or neither work, and I can't find any pattern for when they work or not. I've checked the fuse box and everything looks normal in there.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Can this timer be repaired, can it be bypassed, or does it have to be replaced?
All three options can be done. The easiest way is 'bypassing' which can be done by disconnecting the
circuit board, if you don't need the warning lamp testing feature.

Is there anything like this on the circuit for the electric windows and ventilation fan?
No, it is only related to the cluster warning lights.

Regarding the power window and the blower, bad grounding is often could be an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, where is this timer located in the car? I've gone over the wiring diagrams and can't find it anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts