Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The brake fluid low warning light/beep came on once a few weeks ago. Now, it comes on at every tight bend or roundabout. I bought brake fluid, opened reservoir to top up but.. It was full to brim. Anybody else had similar or can help? It's a GT derv.

In possibly related, I noticed the power steering reservoir tank had what looked like spillage from the top, see photo. Could the sensor be playing up between the two? Or leakage causing some fault?

Lastly, the clutch is just starting to slip at high revs. Clutch & DMF are in 15k miles old, I've had a remap before this clutch was put in but drive non aggressive. I'm well aware of the potential on the clutch of a remap but now I've seen leaking fluid from power steering and not sure how long it's been dripping, could this be causing the clutch to slip?

Apologies to the fb people who've already helped, your input has been huge! Cheers for that so far.

Thanks all
Stu ImageUploadedByAG Free1425218434.652410.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
1. It shouldn't be full to the brim
2. it could be the handbrake on sensor? if you pull the handbrake on while the car is moving you get a "fluid level low" error
3. the seal on the power steering reservoirs probably just gone, buy a new cap. that shouldn't be to the brim either!

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply.

Handbrake cables were replaced within last 15000 miles. But, warning comes in when going round bends/roundabouts so to me suggests fluid is moving past the 'low' mark & triggers sensor.

Brakes feel ok, but as majority of my current use is mile & half each way, I get surface rust on brakes. A good run cleans this off.

I'll listen out for rear calipers sticking but can't say I've heard anything wrong so far.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Power steering does not have warning circuit. It could be that the cap sensor is a bit over sensitive and if the float tilts a bit due to the turning G-force it triggers the circuit.

If the level is fine - I'd live with it. Or just buy a new/2nd hand cap

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If you take a left or right hand bend quite sharp I can get mine to go off.
Usually means I need a 100ml top up. As usually the brakes need a little more in due to pad wear.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gertie: I didn't realise there's a sensor in or near cap on brake reservoir, i thought the sensor was on slave cylinder, but there you go, i've learnt something. Or did you mean power steering cap?

Scottf: Iknow what you mean, but this is just ordinary roundabout use or joining a motorway slip road sort of thing. I've checked again at lunchtime, still looks full. I've got the local tame mechnanic having a look at it on Wednesday, hopefully will know more then.

thanks for all the replies so far!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Gertie: I didn't realise there's a sensor in or near cap on brake reservoir, i thought the sensor was on slave cylinder, but there you go, i've learnt something. Or did you mean power steering cap?

Scottf: Iknow what you mean, but this is just ordinary roundabout use or joining a motorway slip road sort of thing. I've checked again at lunchtime, still looks full. I've got the local tame mechnanic having a look at it on Wednesday, hopefully will know more then.

thanks for all the replies so far!
Sorry about that Rushy - All the cars I know have sensors in the caps - after some research I see the GT work differently :confused: But I am sure about the Power steering reservoir does not have level sensors.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gertie, yes you're right, no sensor in power steering reservoir.

In true Alfa style, no matter how hard I slung it in to roundabouts today, no warning lights what so ever. Not sure if I'm happy about that or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts