Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'd like some advice please.

I had some work done on my Alfa a few weeks ago. This included bleeding the brakes. During this process brake fluid was spilled onto 3 of the wheels whose finish was damaged with drip marks. On two of the wheels it also apparently went onto the tyres - quite a bit on one of them, as the tyres have discouloured patches (brown rather than grey/black) in the shape of drips.

I read that brake fluid is damaging to tyres and so I emailed GoodYear. The essence of their email was that if the tyre smells different (interesting!), is discoloured or has a burnt appearance then it should be changed.

What would you do in my position? I have requested of the garage that I would like 2 new tyres, and that I am willing to contribute towards them as the tyres they would be replacing are not brand new, but neither are they close to the end of their life tread-wise. They have already agreed to sort out the wheels themselves, but are being a little elusive when I try to arrange a time to get the work done.

What would you do in my place? Am I worrying about nothing with the tyres or would you get them changed?

Photo of part of the worse affected tyre here:

http://77.92.85.80/tyre_damage.jpg

That is the worst patch, but there is discolouration in drips across most of the tyre.

Edited to add:
Also I should point out the photo is after I have washed the tyre thoroughly with soapy water and dried with a towel.

Thanks

Olly.

K

·
0 Posts
In the circumstances I'd push for new tyres. I've bled brakes with the wheels on on my bloody driveway and not spilled it on the tyres so for a properly equipped garage to do it suggests they've been a bit slap dash.

I wouldn't go back their either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the tyres will probably be fine but I would do the same as you to be on the safe side. If the tyre is 1/2 worn and a replacement is say £80.00 ask for a £40.00 discount if they fit a new one or pro rata for a pair.

A

·
0 Posts
Unless the exposure to tyres is long term the risk of damage is very low. The inside of your brake flexi pipes seem to cope OK.

So if there has been a spill on tyres, then i'd clean them with warm water a sponge and washing up liquid or car wash shampoo..any gentle detergent will do.

The one to really worry about is brake fluid on paintwork. You need to get that off instantly.

I thought for a moment that there was a nasty crack in the tyre at the top of your photo..but its just a left over tang from moulding...I hope. I don't see anything on that tyre i would worry about personally, but at the end of the day, its your call.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If the wheels are damaged then take the car back and complain about it. They are liable for any damage to the car whilst its in their care. I wouldn't let them off the hook for ANY damage no matter how small. This is your pride and joy at the end of the day.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It'll scrub off. Veggie based deposits leave a stain. Compatible with rubber components, so not too much to have concern about.:):

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll scrub off. Veggie based deposits leave a stain. Compatible with rubber components, so not too much to have concern about.:):
Thanks. I did give it a good scrub with a spnge and with a nail brush. Neither seemed to touch it at all.

·
Registered
38,905 Posts
What ZF said.

Brake fluid is designed not to attack rubber. It is also water soluble so just was it off with plain water.

Unless of course your fluid has been upraded to the silicone based stuff. You will have a job to get that off, but it still won't damage the rubber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts