Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have a MiTo QV which I adore to death.
The other night the brake fluid warning light came up so I pulled into the next servo and checked and sure enough the level was just above the min mark. I bought super dot4 fluid immediately topped it up to max. 30 Km's later it was back to just above min. once more i topped it up and got about 250kms before the level was back down to halfway. My brake pads are about 45%. And there is no fluid leaking from the underside of the car. The car has not missed a beat apart from the clutch sticking to the floor once about 3 weeks ago. I can't help but to think it's related. Please help!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would have thought there would be some evidence of leakage...especially with the amount you describe - Have you taken off the under-tray and had a good look with torch etc... (easier up on ramp)

Doubt the leak would cause clutch issues..... But you never know on modern cars:thinking:

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Clutch and brakes are fed from same reservoir and the clutch will go first if you are losing fluid ..

Check the clutch slave as well as masters and wheel calipers ..

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^^ lol.....shows what I know :ponder: ......wandering off to read manual....

How many other motors are like that..??? All my other motors have proper system of a reservoir for each

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Many cars share the same fluid. There should be a dam in the reservoir so total loss of fluid in one system doesn't disable the other one.
The clutch slave cylinder is prime suspect if you are sure its not the brakes. Not sure on your car but it may have a concentric slave cylinder which is inside the gearbox so you still won't see fluid leakage. The downside is that the gearbox has to come out to change it and with the amount you are talking about it may also have started to contaminate the clutch.....

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Not sure on the QV. Our 1.4i has an external slave which made it very easy when it failed both to spot and to swap out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts