Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to this forum so hi!

I need to top up my brake fluid (Alfa 156 2003 Turismo 1.6 petrol). A fairly simple thing, I thought, until I looked in the owners' handbook.

Under fluids and lubricants, the book recommends "Tutela Car Top 4 for Alfa Romeo", or a fluid that meets "NHTSA no 116 DOT 4, ISO 4925, SAE J1703 CUNA NC 956-01 synthetic fluid".

The car has a sticker on it supporting this.

However, under the car maintenance section in the owners' handbook is a warning panel, "Symbol (o) on the container indicates synthetic type brake fluid distinguishing it from the mineral kind. Using mineral type fluids damages the special rubber braking system gaskets beyond repair".

My reservoir has a yellow sticker with (o) on it.

So, a dimlemma. The owners' handbook seems to contradict itself. Should I top up with the recommended DOT 4 mineral fluid or should I use synthetic? If so, what spec?

Any views appreciated.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Castrol Super DOT4 from Halfords will be fine.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
baldbazza said:
Newbie to this forum so hi!

I need to top up my brake fluid (Alfa 156 2003 Turismo 1.6 petrol). A fairly simple thing, I thought, until I looked in the owners' handbook.

Under fluids and lubricants, the book recommends "Tutela Car Top 4 for Alfa Romeo", or a fluid that meets "NHTSA no 116 DOT 4, ISO 4925, SAE J1703 CUNA NC 956-01 synthetic fluid".

The car has a sticker on it supporting this.

However, under the car maintenance section in the owners' handbook is a warning panel, "Symbol (o) on the container indicates synthetic type brake fluid distinguishing it from the mineral kind. Using mineral type fluids damages the special rubber braking system gaskets beyond repair".

My reservoir has a yellow sticker with (o) on it.

So, a dimlemma. The owners' handbook seems to contradict itself. Should I top up with the recommended DOT 4 mineral fluid or should I use synthetic? If so, what spec?

Any views appreciated.
Not sure if there if there should be any dilemma; good quality DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are synthetic. Your handbook is telling you to use synthetic because you have a (o) symbol. It's warning you not to use the mineral type which I believe is only used on Rolls-Royce and some Citroens. So... use a good quality DOT 4 synthetic. Incidentally, don't use a DOT 5, as this is silicone, and not compatible with DOT 4 or DOT 5.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts