Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put this in the 147/156 lounge too.

My 147 GTA brake fluid is due for changing in a few months. I've not done the job before but I'm more than happy to get stuck in with the spanners. Is there anything particularly different in the bleeding / flushing method bearing in mind the clutch fluid also runs from the same resevoir? I have done a search but I haven't found a particularly definative answer. Many thanks in advance:thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not many takers on this one:lol:
I ended up finding the answer by accident earlier whilst doing a search on strainge diff noises! Basically, if anyone else wanted to know, whilst the resevoir for the fliud is shared, the systems are completely seperate after that, however, clearing the clutch lines of old fluid at the same time may not be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I remember on my last 156, the master cylinder was leaking and the clutch was spongy. Before I realised there was a leak I thought air had somehow got in throught the reservoir so I tried flushing the clutch hose through. But I never told the wife to be gentle when pressing the clutch pedal down. She floored the clutch pedal down and a jet of hydraulic fluid whizzed past my eye missing me by a couple of cm. So be careful when you do this, make sure the person knows to press it very slow and that there is no resistance on the pedal.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember on my last 156, the master cylinder was leaking and the clutch was spongy. Before I realised there was a leak I thought air had somehow got in throught the reservoir so I tried flushing the clutch hose through. But I never told the wife to be gentle when pressing the clutch pedal down. She floored the clutch pedal down and a jet of hydraulic fluid whizzed past my eye missing me by a couple of cm. So be careful when you do this, make sure the person knows to press it very slow and that there is no resistance on the pedal.
Cheers for the tip, and i'm glad you got away with that one! I bled the clutch a while back and used a length of clear pipe to make sure the fluid ended up in a container rather than spilling all over the engine components.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can syphon out most of the fluid in the reservoir, top up and pump plenty through calipers & clutch slave cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts