Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 147 GTA brake fluid is due for changing in a few months. I've not done the job before but I'm more than happy to get stuck in with the spanners. Is there anything particularly different in the bleeding / flushing method bearing in mind the clutch fluid also runs from the same resevoir? I have done a search but I haven't found a particularly definative answer. Many thanks in advance:thumbs:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to do this on mine, have bought an ezibleed & intend on flushing the clutch fluid too

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to do this on mine, have bought an ezibleed & intend on flushing the clutch fluid too
Hi mate....don't usually catch up with you in these parts!
I found the answer whilst searching something else earlier.......the resevoir is shared but that's it.....i'm looking to flush the clutch at the same time too, as you have suggested...makes sense really. That will have to wait though...thermostat has gone, so that needs doing first.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I found the answer whilst searching something else earlier.......the resevoir is shared but that's it.....i'm looking to flush the clutch at the same time too, as you have suggested...makes sense really. That will have to wait though...thermostat has gone, so that needs doing first.
How difficult do you think this could be Sparky?

Mine needs doing I'm not to bad with a spanner so I would give it ago

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yo Sparky :D 'stat is an easy job - set an afternoon aside & do both jobs :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo Sparky :D 'stat is an easy job - set an afternoon aside & do both jobs :thumbs:
I bled the clutch a while back, only hassle is moving everything out of the way. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't affect the clutch by emptying the resevoir. I stocked up on Paraflu Red earlier, stat is on it's way from eb spares.....here's hoping for fine weather next Tuesday then:thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How difficult do you think this could be Sparky?

Mine needs doing I'm not to bad with a spanner so I would give it ago
Both brake and clutch flush is straightforward on the v6. Brake flush will be the same on the 1.6. I'm going to get a bleeding kit from Halfords to make life easier.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Which job Punt? :lol: - both are DIYable :thumbs:
Oi less of the lip :rant: :lol: :p

But yes the break fluid it hasn't being changed for a while lets say

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Punt.....you might have meant the stat change?? Pretty straightforward. Obviously leave the job until the engine is completely cold....you don't want to burn yourself of damage any bolts that have expanded with heat. Remove the top pipe from the rad......or from the stat housing. This is my choice, as the top rad pipe is above the air filter, and I don't want to soak it in coolant, and I can't be bothered to remove it! So, top pipe off, then remove the temp sensor, then unbolt the stat housing. Put it all back together and top the coolant up 50:50 mix. I got some distilled water from Halfords today, tap water can lead to deposits in the system over time.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oi less of the lip :rant: :lol: :p

But yes the break fluid it hasn't being changed for a while lets say
I must type faster:lol
The brake fluid change is straight forward. Get a bleeding kit.....remove as much fluid as possible from the resevoir. Now refil with fresh brake fluid. Get the car in the air, wheels off, then attatch your bleeding kit to the bleed nipple. Open the nipple....a 7mm I think, and use the ezibleed to suck out the fluid until you see the new clean fluid come through without any air bubbles, then close the bleed screw. Check the resevoir, it'll need topping up......repeat with remaining 3 corners. Then recheck the level and give the pedal several pumps until it feels normal.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sorry Punt.....you might have meant the stat change?? Pretty straightforward. Obviously leave the job until the engine is completely cold....you don't want to burn yourself of damage any bolts that have expanded with heat. Remove the top pipe from the rad......or from the stat housing. This is my choice, as the top rad pipe is above the air filter, and I don't want to soak it in coolant, and I can't be bothered to remove it! So, top pipe off, then remove the temp sensor, then unbolt the stat housing. Put it all back together and top the coolant up 50:50 mix. I got some distilled water from Halfords today, tap water can lead to deposits in the system over time.

Cheers Sparky but I ment to say brake fluid but I was on my phone when I posted :rolleyes:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sparky aren't you going to drain, flush & replace all the coolant?

:eek: this is supposed to be about brakes :lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I must type faster:lol
The brake fluid change is straight forward. Get a bleeding kit.....remove as much fluid as possible from the resevoir. Now refil with fresh brake fluid. Get the car in the air, wheels off, then attatch your bleeding kit to the bleed nipple. Open the nipple....a 7mm I think, and use the ezibleed to suck out the fluid until you see the new clean fluid come through without any air bubbles, then close the bleed screw. Check the resevoir, it'll need topping up......repeat with remaining 3 corners. Then recheck the level and give the pedal several pumps until it feels normal.:thumbs:
That's the one thanks a lot matey :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Sparky but I ment to say brake fluid but I was on my phone when I posted :rolleyes:
See my post above ref brake fluid change......should be of some help:thumbs
Are you going to the record event on the 7 th mate?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sparky aren't you going to drain, flush & replace all the coolant?

:eek: this is supposed to be about brakes :lol:
Well the belts and water pump were done a year ago......I would normally change the coolant every two years. I'm being a bit lazy really, but I reckon I can get away with just a stat change and a top up, then drain and flush this time next year. It's as long as it is short really.

Did someone mention brake fluid:lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
See my post above ref brake fluid change......should be of some help:thumbs
Are you going to the record event on the 7 th mate?
I want to but I'm not sure yet but it would be nice to meet some other AO. I take it you are

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to but I'm not sure yet but it would be nice to meet some other AO. I take it you are
Yep, all RSVP'd for the convoy. I think all of the convoy spaces are now filled, but I'm sure there will be loads of people attending who aren't in the convoy.
I'm looking forward to meeting some of the faces on AO.

Apologies to myself for straying off topic:lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yep, all RSVP'd for the convoy. I think all of the convoy spaces are now filled, but I'm sure there will be loads of people attending who aren't in the convoy.
I'm looking forward to meeting some of the faces on AO.

Apologies to myself for straying off topic:lol:
Yeah I think I missed out to slow :rolleyes: but if I make it hopefully its should still be good :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you do your own oil changes and own a Pela pump than you can use this, instead of an eezybleed kit, with a clear plastic pipe that will fit on the bleed nipple. I have done this for brakes and slave clutch cylinder on my BMW without any problem. Make sure that the reservoir is topped-up at all times with new oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts