Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was going too well! Suffered total brake failure 3 miles from home yesterday. Thankfully was able to park it up in a car park. Found fluid on the inside of the rear passenger wheel.
I'm assuming it's the caliper seals as the brakes have braided hoses fitted 2 yrs ago.
I see there is a rear caliper seal kit on Big Redd website. Will wait for garage report this week before I order. Just a heads up that this may be something for you all to consider doing.
Cheers
Alan

·
Vendor
46,340 Posts
The hose might have come out of the hook on the shock and rubbed out on a wheel.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll see what the garage says Dan, as it's now parked up 3 miles from home. Its 100m from the garage but a main road needs crossed, with no braking I'm thinking there'll be a recovery bill as well!

·
Vendor
46,340 Posts
Obviously, recovery is the safest option. But could you move it to the garage in the middle of the night when there's no-one about? The handbrake will still work, if you just crawl along in 1st gear at 5mph with your hazards on you'll be there in under a minute.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do normally for sure, but due to the downturn in oil and gas right now, I'm working Monday-Friday in London which means the 5.40am train on Monday morning from Glasgow. I'm having to rely on my wife (I'll do the phone calls obviously) which makes me suspect the damn thing will still be there on Friday!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I drove my GT back into the barn with no brake calipers on the front and capped fluid lines and it has a steep downhill entry ramp! Just used the handbrake.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Scary, but at least everyone was ok.
Strange that it was complete failure though. i had a rear cylinder completely fail on a Corsa a few years back when i was in York and had to drive 170miles home. It meant considerable pumping of pedal but it would stop quickly if required. The steep hill in York was a bit of a challenge though lol. I only did finally completely run out of fluid on my driveway at home after 170miles and i couldn't stop it rolling down the slope lol.
Obviously i do not recommend driving a car any distance without brakes

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corroded brake pipes has been found to be the cause. New brake lines required. Plus handbrake cables.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I was going to add something on the brake lines. All these cars are of the age where the metal is failing. Our project car was "spares and repairs" because of a break in a rear line, close to the union. Doesn't look corroded, more a stress fracture.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Was this the little rigid pipe going into the back of the caliper? Both of mine suffered fatigue fractures when removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts