Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,, has anyone else had problems with excessive brake dust on the rear wheels, have had rear brakes checked and new pads and discs fitted by local Garage but they reported nothing sticking or hanging on but still got excessive brake dust on wheels much more than on fronts, on long runs it even goes up onto back wheels arches, any thoughts please.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No , not cheap Pads or Discs both Alfa original parts, would have been easy if it had been that ,, cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have noticed this with my car... didn't really think much of it though apart from it was odd how there was more on the rear than the front.

I did think it might have been road dirt more than brake dust though? The shape of the car might cause dirt to spray up more in that area than other cars?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jamie 7, yes you could have a valid point there, I mean everything works ok its just strange that you get more dust on the rears than the front wheels.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Have the garage checked the brake balance between front and rear?

Sounds like the rear pads are working harder than the fronts when it should be the fronts doing most of the work.

On most cars there is a valve which reduces pressure to the rear brakes under heavy braking, if the MiTo has one it could be that it has seized or broken causing too much effort to go to the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe my brakes do this because the front disc's are warped... meaning the rear brakes get to high pressure quicker than the front. So thats something to check :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Have the garage checked the brake balance between front and rear?

Sounds like the rear pads are working harder than the fronts when it should be the fronts doing most of the work.

On most cars there is a valve which reduces pressure to the rear brakes under heavy braking, if the MiTo has one it could be that it has seized or broken causing too much effort to go to the back.
Not any more...

Since EBD the rears are the first to reach the point of wheel slip, after which the EBD reduces brake pressure a step and shifts bias to the front.

If you are light on the brakes, it's entirely possible to wear the rears out before the fronts as they'll have done most of the braking. I've had a few customers like that.

This is the reason cars don't tend to nosedive anymore when braking, and it reduces the brake distance significantly over the old setup where you were lucky to get a load bias valve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts