Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone tell me the following info please? I am about to travel to Holland to help my mate fix his Alfa 146 and need to take some essential tools to change the front discs and pads and also steering rack rubber boot!
We will also give it an oil and filter change and some new plugs.
Should we be looking at anything else by the way?http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/icons/icon5.gif
As luggage weight is expensive i have opted to take a small selection of the correct size tools so if anybody can tell me any of the following sizes definitively, it would save me a lot of hassle.
Much obliged in advance.http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...ies/thumbs.gif
Mark

Ps I am assuming i need to disconnect rack to slide rubber boot over track rod. After looking at photos it looks like after loosening two pinch bolts it may be possible to leave the track rod end in situ possibly?

Any help whatsoever would be fantastic. Thanks

Caliper slider hex headed bolts size

Carrier to hub hex headed bolt size

Steering rack mounting bolt size (bolts to the bulkhead)

Steering rack hydraulic pipe connector size (brake pipe looking ones)

Track rod end nut size

Track rod end pinch bolt size

Headlight adjuster torx type size

Oil drain key (type or size)

Thanks again for any helphttp://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Most of those bolts are going to be M6, M7, M8 and maybe the odd M10.
If you really have that little baggage allowance (are you flying Ryan Air? :D) then you want:

10mm, 13mm, 14mm and 17mm combination spanners

I'd probably pack a 12mm too.. (there's always one!)

#8 (big one) screwdriver - flat.

Pliers (big)

If you want to bleed the brakes or have any other bleed type screws to undo, they're likely to be 7 (rear) or possibly 8mm (front).

You could really also use a caliper piston wind-back tool.. though this will weigh more than all the spanners put together.

If you can bring a 1/4" drive socket set (leave your wash-bag at home... borrow your mate's stuff.. or buy it in Holland) then the 10-12 mm sockets and a stubby extension bar in particular will be useful.

Good luck! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ralf S for ur help it is much appreciated,,,,,
No im not flying Ryan air im flying sleazy jet :rolleyes:as they have an extra 5 kilo allowance.....Should be fun at security x ray point though....

Is the front piston likely to be a screw back one then?... I thought they were only used on rear and auto adjust for handbrake????.... I was going to employ the 'bar and lever' method and hope for the best lol.:lol:
Cheers again for ur help.

Sparky:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Front will be a regular doodah.. not a wind-back jobbie... but I forgot to mention the oil filter wrench (chain jobbie doesn't weigh much) and the 12mm (?) Allen key for the sump plug.

Tell your mate to find a big piece of pipe so you can use it as a tommy bar over the Allen key.. (the larger bore copper water pipe does the job... but lead or iron is less likely to bend..

Ralf S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts