Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get hold of a pair of front brake discs for my Sportwagon without success. The ones fitted have a flange in the centre for locating the wheel and are fixed to the hub by means of the large bolt which also retains the wheel bearing. This arrangement is common on other cars yet does not seem to be on the Alfa, or is it? Any clues?:confused:

D

·
0 Posts
Are you sure that how its held on ?
AFAIK they are normally retained by the little 12mm? screw on hub and by the heat generated over time. Usually a good whack with a suitably sized adjusting tool works. Hub nut usually just holds driveshaft.
Can you post a picture ?

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
That flange is part of the hub.
It is NOT part of the disc.

The disc is only held on with the tiny peg bolt.

Oh, that central nut you are looking at holds the driveshaft to the hub. It is VERY tight. Don't try to undo it!

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
You just need the std vented 156/147/GT 284mmx22mm discs.

You can find them just about anywhere.
online, buypartsby.com could be the cheepest.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HMM...flange is definately part of the disc and they are held on with the large 36mm bolt. ref David C: thats the discs I got to replace the old ones on recomendation, but the are wrong. Are you all begining to see my problem?

D

·
0 Posts
Do your wheels have the normal 5 bolt pattern ?
Again any chance of a pic of hub

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yip...5 bolts! My Wagon is the "facelift" model 53 plate but Jan 2004 registerd, wonder if there was a change?

D

·
0 Posts
Ok - the discs can appear part of the hub and can take a bit of effort to release

D

·
0 Posts
Yup if a hammer doesnt work get a bigger one :lol:
If you aint too far away happy to have a look for you

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer, had enough for one day. Gona open a beer and order a curry and continue tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes, but I do think you are rite 147Dav, if you are, I'll save a beer for you too!

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
HMM...flange is definately part of the disc and they are held on with the large 36mm bolt.
No it isn't...

ref David C: thats the discs I got to replace the old ones on recomendation, but the are wrong. Are you all begining to see my problem?
They are the correct discs, but your old ones are stuck to the hub.
Very common, especially if they are the originals as they will have been assembled dry. So they will need a big hit to get them off.
Use a soft blow hammer (rubber, wood, plastic, etc) or a std hammer hitting a wooden block. Try not to hit metal hammer to metal disc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK..."No it isn't"
All of you are correct! One or two smacks revealed the seem between the hub and the disc after that it was straight forward. Back on the road now with new parts fitted.
Thanks to all for your input.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts