Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggetions for brake discs? i seem to have a slight wobble up in there..

vented is nice, and decent quality and decent price. You get what you pay for and such..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
330's it is

budget is not fixed, i would say mid price. Up to 200-250£ for the pair if possible. I see autolusso has some at 119£ for the pair.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Standard brembo 330 discs are more than up to the job. Around £130 pair.
I believe the ones autolusso sell are pagids which are also available cheaply.

If you must go fancy, the Mtec c hook look quite cool! But have heard good and bad things regarding mtec

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had to send a set of discs back to Mtec after 300 miles as they were either warped or poorly made (no idea which). To be fair they did refund me, but i would not fir them again.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't rate Pagid disks highly....despite all the Lamborghini/Porsche waffle on Eurocarparts web site. I have them on the 166, the first set warped after the first HGV pulled out in front of me on the motorway. They refunded me...I bought a second set for the 166. I have them fitted also on the 156.JTD...there is a slight warp on one of the cars...can't remember which one, only notice it when braking at low speeds...that uneven bite.

Get original if you can they do up to 100k miles. Not sure who is the oem though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
EBC 330mm front disc's my Giulietta QV, with Yellow stuff pads.
The work from cold to very hot amazingly well.

Just had EBC slotted black disc's with EBC Ultimax pads fitted on the rears.
They give more than enough braking force for the rears, but could do better these pads when cold. We have some steep hills where I live.

S

·
0 Posts
BREMBO cross drilled 330s here. Been on 4 years and 20,000 miles. No lip,no visible signs of wear and they come with a yellow passivate type coating so rust free hubs.

This is with EBC yellows. They really bite.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I would fit standard brembos on a road car... though have tarox on mine and they are superb but noisy with the grooves.. used to bother me before the wizard...

don't think they are a worth the money mod on a road car to be honest

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have Brembo drilled and grooved front discs on mine and will be fitting ebc ultimax on rear with ultimax or red stuff pads.
Std Brembo work well aswell

For all those above i highly recommend not using MTEC discs, especially if they are drilled. They are the poorest quality vented disc i have ever seen. They also don't handle the heat very well. The ones on our Mini are rubbish, the drill holes cut through the casting webs which i think is dangerous. I would hate to think how well they would sit on the Alfa.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
For all those above i highly recommend not using MTEC discs, especially if they are drilled. They are the poorest quality vented disc i have ever seen. They also don't handle the heat very well. The ones on our Mini are rubbish, the drill holes cut through the casting webs which i think is dangerous. I would hate to think how well they would sit on the Alfa.
Bodes well for my next track day! :paperbag:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If i wasn't broke at the time of buying mtec discs i would have thrown them away rather than fit to my wifes car. Now has Pagid front discs. I am sure they would be on rear, but on the vented disc with drilled hoels the holes were terrible and ignoring that fact they just didn't seem to dissipate the heat at all. Always meant if you thrashed the Mini on country roads home from work to my house i would eventually lose brake power after a few miles. I hated them.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
So after doing a track day at Abingdon the brakes did cause me some problems. When they got very hot they shuddered on one side. The pedal did get a bit longer but they seemed to hang in there. Later in the day they were still working but made a kind of thrumming noise when applied. Took the car out the day after and they seem to have lost some cold bite and pedal resistance. This is with Brembo Sport pads and Mtec drilled disks.

So I guess my next move would be to either get standard Brembo disks or the fancy drilled Brembo disks? Really trying to find a brake setup which works on the street but is strong enough for track. Tried PF pads, they are horrible on road.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tarox F2000. Absolute Daylie capable disc, but is slotted so will went heat better than a plain disc - plus it's high temp stable.
Can endure quite some heat compared to the Brembo disc. No wrapping ever occured on a Tarox disc i used so far and some are under rather extreme abuse i'd say.
They are combined with ProjectMu HC+ CarbonCeramic Compound pad on my fun drive and i've never had a problem with those discs.
I wrapped brembos on the Rear of my 156.... i would never go to brembo again if there is an alternative from Tarox or some other good brand (like Endless, ProjectMu, DBA or whatsoever)

DS2500 is a pretty common pad and capable of day and track use.
if you're after perfect modulation you could alsow take a look at ProjectMu HC-CS

http://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_hccs.html

There is a reseller in italy who will sell you those pads, so no hazzle with taxes and stuff. [email protected]

EDIT: oh and if you overheated your brakes i'd suggest to change brake fluid once the new brakes are on - otherwise you'll most likely don't get much out of it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Mtec discs are terrible....they search for the cheapest blank discs they can find,then groove/drill them in there warehouse
Agreed. If u do buy do not get drilled ones. Shocking that it is legal to drill a disc solo badly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I upgraded from the standard 284mm items on my 2.5 to 330s a couple of months back.

Got the MTEC7008, c-hooked, not drilled, with PF pads from AL and are very happy with the setup. :thumbup:

Disks were checked by my machinist and confirmed to be perfectly straight.

Hope I won't change my mind about them in 12 or 24 months as they were not exactly cheap .....

·
Registered
391 Posts
330 Tarox drilled and slotted discs on mine with Performance pads and stainless steel pipes, very happy with them. Had Tarox fast road pads fitted originally but found them a little lacking on a track day.

Allan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts