Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm pissed again so I hope you can follow this

Is there any advantage to having cold air feed pipes to the front brakes ???
I have fast road pads and grooved discs which need a bit of heat to work properly, but wondered if cooling them a little would be worthwhile as I can get them to fade after some severe breenging.

I'm gonna talk to a company called JH Developments about making some stainless ducts to fit under my front splitter.
Oh yeah, JH Developments have recently developed a strut brace for the 16v cars.

cheers guys, Marlon

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah..air piped to the brakes is generally a good thing.. but like everything it depends on the setup & it's use. Also, the ducting would depend on the type of discs used. ie some (brembo I think) have the vanes curved in a fashion to 'suck' air from the centre & expel it at the edges - so you pipe air in the the inner centre of the hub. Others work differently so you pipe air to the front of the disc.

You are right though, you need to match your pads to the car's use & the cooling\braking habits etc. if you are too well cooled it'll be like braking the first time in miles on the motorway - ie stone cold.

A

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh! nice idea marlon.

I'll see if i can get some more SS sheeting, we'll take a look and see what I can do for you:D

btw... i'm still :rolleyes: painting that bloody strutbrace I made up, looking good though :D

j

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hee hee, I think you should rename your "company" to JH Racing Developments :)
I already have a plan for what "we" (actually you :p ) should build.
Thanks for the info F2G, my discs are made from Brembo blanks. I'll start by routing the air to the centre of the discs. I'll probably use a "smallish" (1.5 inch diameter) pipe.

Marlon

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would make much more sense to suck the hot, expanded air out of the wheelhouse rather than pressing or feeding more air to the disc.

You can do that with ducts or with a certain optimized wheelspoke design. (Both found on the new Mercedes SLR for example.)

But I think that it´s not worth the efford.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the heavier racing stuff has water spray systems, which are a great deal more effective than air due to the evaporation of the water. Probably best not to reroute your washer jets to the discs though, if you like staying alive...

J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts