Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really need the special tool? I've seen on youtube people using C-clamps?

I need to know if C-clamps are good for a 2005 156 before i take the brakes off?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Which calipers, front or rear?

I generally don't use the tool on the fronts, can usually push them back by hand. Keep one of the pads in place to ensure even pressure.

Rears are what generally require the tool, as it pushes and turns the piston home, and for the sale of £8 or so, well worth having, but ensure you use the right one, as some turn left and some turn right

·
Registered
975 Posts
You could use a C-clamp and gas pliers but you can also accidentally pinch the rubber boot on the calliper and tear it.
Obviously the correct tool is much more easier and quicker...

If you want to use the C-clamp method, clamp the piston down then turn the piston with the gas pliers, keep applying pressure to the piston, as you turn it and the piston moves in, the clamp will become lose, just keep clamping and turning until the piston is all the way in... :)

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
Fronts just push in, no special tools needed.

For the rear, use the correct rewind tool, it will make it a very simple job.
Search for Laser 1314.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, squels are coming from rear brakes so I want to strip down at some stage and clean them.

Thanks David... I'll start looking now!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Don't get one from Halfrauds ... well overpriced compared to internet prices ...

K

·
0 Posts
I've always managed with a pair of long-nosed pliers. It's one of those tools I really should buy.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Don't think 156 has left hand threads on the N/S rear. Mito and later models might have like some Fiats. Yet another feature that seems to have no hard and fast rule.
If a right hand thread works on one model why does another model need a left hand thread to do the identical job.
If I do a caliper that appears to lock up I always give the alternative tool a try. Some of them are just b***** tight though.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
As posted above loook for the £16 kits on ebay. With 2 year warranty. Come under 22piece or there abouts. Ibahve bought 10 of these for work mates when i got my kit as they look and feel the same as the sealey and bluepoint kits

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
There are loads on ebay uk around the 14-16 area. Im sure on will have a reasonable delivedy .
I use the seller 'andrew_Munro'

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I had a word with the fitter at the MOT station I use today. He does a lot of brake pad changes on lots of different cars. I asked him about left threaded rear calipers and he says the only ones he's seen and knows of are on Mondeos and X types. He's a pretty up front bloke, he added that it didn't mean there aren't any just because he hadn't done them. To be honest though, if he hasn't they must be very rare.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Fronts just push in, no special tools needed.

For the rear, use the correct rewind tool, it will make it a very simple job.
Search for Laser 1314.
I've used one of these on a 155, 146 and 156 without any problems :thumbs:

·
Registered
450 Posts
But for same price, why not get a kit with l/h in it just incase.
The kit does look very good value, unfortunately, Ebay wasn't around when I bought mine in 1998.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
But for same price, why not get a kit with l/h in it just incase.
Agreed get the kit with everything in it, you can't go wrong.
I might add that even when using the correct tool some calipers that have not been touched in a long time are very hard to get moving. That's where the use of pliers etc totally fails and gives doubts about LH and RH wind back.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts