Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to put a new brake disk on the back of my V6 for the MOT but can't get the piston to move back in the calliper. The new disk is a couple of mils thicker than the old one so I need to move the piston back a little way. The guy at the Alfa garage said you have to rotate the piston back in the calliper rather than just push it back but I can't get it to move at all! I don't think it's seized, does anyone know what the trick is to get the thing moving?

thanks for any advice,

Tim

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just replaced the brake pads on mine today and of course the pisten was further forward as the pads had worn down to almost minimum. and i had to push the piston on mine back further to fit the new pads.

the way i did it, which took alot of strenght, is to get a G clamp and squeeze the piston back, i know this sounds drastic but i've always had to do this on every occasion to change the pads.

this maybe a case where i need new pistons on mine but i can assure you, it does work, and once the brakes are bled then they settle down really good. its one easy way of getting the piston as far back as possible

Crashedit

"its not my fault.... its just fate"

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim King said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to put a new brake disk on the back of my V6 for the MOT but can't get the piston to move back in the calliper. The new disk is a couple of mils thicker than the old one so I need to move the piston back a little way. The guy at the Alfa garage said you have to rotate the piston back in the calliper rather than just push it back but I can't get it to move at all! I don't think it's seized, does anyone know what the trick is to get the thing moving?

thanks for any advice,

Tim
had the same prblem b4! pull the pin out of the calliper, it could be bent! either reshape and grease the pin and put it back in or just replace the pin
;)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Your dealer is right, you're supposed to rotate them back, but with the aid of a special tool. I borrowed one from a SEAT garage to rotate mine back.

Though what crashedit said would work also, even the rotating tool in reality just pushes the piston back in (it's a clamp that you mount in the caliper, then pu!sh the caliper open).

Regards,
Cuore Sportivo 155

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G-clamp and water pump pliers...however, if it still won't move you may have a seized piston.

You say it's not...how do you know? Rear calipers are sods for seizing!

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I will have a go at squeezing and rotating at the same time. Should you be able to rotate the piston in it's cylinder normally, by the way, without pushing it back? As I said, mine won't move at all in any direction despite judicious applications of a large hammer! Perhaps it is rusted up after all as Wrinx said, I just thought it wasn't as I had never experienced any problems with the brakes not working at the back. Maybe just didn't notice though....

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Tim King said:
Should you be able to rotate the piston in it's cylinder normally, by the way, without pushing it back?
Rotating the piston winds it back on the handbrake mechanism's adjuster screw, so if you can rotate it, it should automatically retract.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave Brand said:
Rotating the piston winds it back on the handbrake mechanism's adjuster screw, so if you can rotate it, it should automatically retract.
True....if it's in good condition, sadly they usually aren't (in my experience anyway!!)

wrinx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking about brakes and callipers and things like that, i know mine are still somewhere near half decent, how ever i always think there's room for improvement.

I mean they are good for the cars age of 13 years, but has anyone ever tried to up grade the entire system and if so how succesfull, it would be good if i were able to add things like a brake bias and look at carbon pads and stuff, but dont fancy spending the dosh to find out that it doesn't work or it makes little difference.

just wondered if any one has tried it before, any suggestions let me know.

thanks

Its not my fault... its fate

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sub has 166 calipers (huge 4 piston jobbies) and Fiat Coupe discs (huge) on the front of his 155 :)

You can adjust the bias by shortening the bias spring. Shorter gives more rear brake effort. I've found increasing the rear effort has stopped the fronts from fading...ever !!!

My brakes lasted about 60 laps at Knockhill. 3 sessions of 20ish laps and no brake fade at all. Most other cars were doing 4 or 5 laps and then going into the pits to allow their brakes to cool down :lol:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hoygaard said:
May I direct you gentlemen in the direction of Halfords, which sells a piston windback tool for a tenner plus VAT. (at least so I'm told, I live in Denmark) You might also want to have a look at this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=33350 .

And here's how a pro kit looks like ; http://www.tuitools.com/Product-2004514105640.html

Cheers
-- Hoygaard
Yep Halfrauds do sell a tool for winding back caliper pistons as Mr Chris needed one for his brake upgrade

Says on the packet it fits fords and vauxhalls etc but also fits lots of others including Alfas

san

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a thought, you haven't topped up the brake fluid since the old pads were fitted have you? This would stop the piston going back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if you have a bosch 4" grinder.....the tool for changing the disc doubles up as a handy rear caliper piston winder!

D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts